Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeElementary and Secondary School

Adult Education, Elementary and Secondary School...

Can a Newcomer be Admitted in the mid of Fall Term 

Yorker13
Yorker13

Posted On: 8/29/2020
Yorker13
Yorker13
Hi,

We are planning to make a landing as PR in Canada in October, thats like mid of first term for Elementary schools,

i have 3 kids, Grade 1 ,2 and KG2.

we are going to land in Toronto or Hamilton,

but we dont have a residence yet.

my questions are:

1- Can I register and admit my kitds into school in mid of first term, or we do have to wait for the winter term ?

2- I still dont have a permenenat address, we might at start rent short term rental place until we settle, would the school accept the temporarily address.?

3- is the student marks book for previous year a must for registration.

thank you
link

Posted On: 9/10/2020
Thank you for sharing your situation and questions with us. We can understand this must be a challenging time to move during the pandemic.

You may find our article "How do I enrol my child in school?" useful. Here is an excerpt:

“You need to provide all of the following information to register your child for school:
  • Proof of your child's age - A birth certificate or passport.
  • Proof of address - A copy of a bank statement, telephone or electrical bill or apartment lease with your name and address.
  • Proof of guardianship - Required if your child is under 18 years of age and is not living with a parent.
  • Proof of student's immigration status
  • Immunization record
Also, if you have your child's previous report card or textbook, or any other school information that might be helpful, bring it to the centre. However they may also be assessed before being placed in a grade. This varies by school board.

Many community agencies can help you with registering your child for school. For example, they can help you find an interpreter, if you would like one. To find help, go to Services Near Me and search for "settlement services" in your area.

We hope this information is helpful. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

Sincerely,
Theresa, CCRS
Your Settlement.Org Team
link