Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeLegal Services and Human Rights

Courts, Human Rights, Lawyers and Legal Representation, Community Legal Clinics, Legal Aid, Police...

How do I check to see if I have a dormant SIN? 

mikemorel
mikemorel

Posted On: 9/3/2020
mikemorel
mikemorel
Hi,
Does anyone know how to check if my social security number is dormant or not?

Also for accessing service canada account , Do we need to have a claim?
I meant I do not have any claim , I just want to access service Canada or check my social security number.

Thanks,
link

Posted On: 9/11/2020
Hello There,

Thank you for sharing your situation and questions with us. We can understand this might be a confusing process.

You may find this previous user thread helpful; here is an excerpt:
“According to a Service Canada Representative, it may be that case that your SIN has a "dormant" flag in your file. In these cases, you can still use your SIN number however, you cannot use it for the online services.
They stated that SIN numbers may be flagged as dormant when there is no activity recorded with the number for more than 5 years.
In order to re-activate it, they suggested that you go into the nearest Service Canada office and complete a questionnaire from the SIN Registry that they will provide.
You will be asked to present some identification such as a Canadian Birth Certificate, Canadian Citizenship Card/Certificate, PR Card etc. [...]”

You may also wish to review this helpful information about after your Social Insurance Number has been issued. Especially if you have concerns that it may be expired or compromised.

Service Canada Centres are gradually re-opening some locations for key services. There are a few different ways to contact Service Canada to confirm the status of your Social Insurance Number.

Many community agencies can help you with this process as well. For example, they can help you find an interpreter, if you would like one. To find help, go to Services Near Me and search for "settlement services" in your area.

We hope this information is helpful. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

Sincerely,
Theresa, CCRS
Your Settlement.Org Team
link