Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeLandlord and Tenant Information and Issues

Landlord/tenant rights, dealing with problems, where to get help...

Hearings at the Landlord and Tenant Board 

tamara
tamara

Posted On: 9/4/2020
tamara
tamara
Hi,

I am currently renting a house in Ontario and my landlord gave me an N12 form claiming that he will move in the house. I do not think his intention is true due to a series of previous events.

I did not agree to move out and therefore he said that he will be filing an application at the landlord and tenant board. I read online that the next step will be a hearing. As I am new to Canada and I am not very familiar with the system, can this ever become an issue when I am applying for citizenship as I understand that the landlord and tenant board hearing is similar to a legal court case?

Thank you
link
tamara
tamara

Posted On: 9/4/2020
tamara
tamara
I forgot to mention that I have been paying all my rent on time and have been fulfilling all my tenant responsibilities
link

Posted On: 9/28/2020
Hello There,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us. We understand why this would be a concerning issue for you and empathize with your situation.

You may want to contact the nearest Community Legal Clinic for some advice regarding your situation. If you do not qualify to receive services from a Community Legal Clinic, please contact the Landlord and Tenant Board directly.

It may also help to connect with a community resource navigator at 211 to narrow your search. 211 Ontario is a free, confidential service.

Their phone service is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Here is a link to their live chat if you prefer to communicate online. Their live chat service is available Monday to Friday from 7am-9pm ET.

You may also find helpful information in the Steps to Justice article My landlord is trying to evict me so that they or their family can move into my place. What should I do?

Your landlord might want to evict you so that they, a member of their family, or their caregiver can move into your place. If so, the landlord must first give you a written notice. The notice should be on a form called Notice to End your Tenancy Because the Landlord, a Purchaser or a Family Member Requires the Rental Unit – Form N12.
Also, your landlord must:
  • offer you another acceptable unit to move to, or
  • pay you at least one month’s rent.
You do not have to move out just because you get this notice. You can be forced to move only if the Landlord and Tenant Board makes an eviction order against you.

You may also want to write to a live chat operator on StepstoJustice.ca for legal information and referral options relevant to your situation. Their live chat feature can be found on the bottom right corner of every page.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

We hope this information is helpful.

Settlement.Org Team
link