Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeGetting Health Care (OHIP)

Health, including mental health, health card (OHIP), addictions, alternative health...

Getting OHIP while waiting for permanent residency 

hagesensei
hagesensei

Posted On: 9/8/2020
hagesensei
hagesensei
Hi,

If you could guide me to the appropriate link to help me I would be forever grateful. Nobody else I've contacted seems to have any idea.

I have sponsored my wife (Japanese citizen) for permanent residence. They have not started processing the application yet so we don't have a letter from them stating that my wife is eligible. This letter is needed to get OHIP coverage. We can't even monitor the application process until they acknowledge receipt of our application. (It's been 4 months). Covid has apparently slowed down processing.

We are in Toronto now and have no idea how long it will take them to send us this statement of eligibility letter acknowledging the application process has begun.

What are we supposed to do? Buy private insurance indefinitely? My wife of 16 years is clearly eligible for OHIP. Is there a recommended private insurer for this type of situation?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Sincerely,

mike m
link

Posted On: 9/30/2020
Hi Mike,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us.

The Ministry of Health is also taking measures to ensure access to medically necessary services to uninsured individuals to address the COVID-19 outbreak. According to the Steps to Justice article, I don't have status in Canada. What should I do if I think I have COVID-19?:

You don’t need OHIP coverage to be tested or treated for COVID-19 at assessment centres in Ontario.

The Ontario government announced uninsured people should not have to pay for testing and treatment for COVID-19 and other medically-necessary services. This includes medical services in hospitals and services by other healthcare providers in the community. You should not be charged for testing or treatment of COVID-19. But some healthcare providers outside of hospitals might decide to charge money for other services.

Visit the Healthcare Access Ontario website to find a walk in-clinic that provides medical care without charging fees.

This means that everyone, insured and uninsured, will receive medically necessary care.

As a person without OHIP, you also have other options for healthcare. Learn more about the many ways you can access healthcare in Ontario, including low-cost care and private health insurance.

Feel free to also call Service Ontario’s INFOline at 1-866-532-3161 for more information regarding OHIP coverage as well.

We hope this information is helpful. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

Your Settlement.Org Team
link