Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeElementary and Secondary School

Adult Education, Elementary and Secondary School...

English Public Elementary & Secondary Enrollment 

Felix_H
Felix_H

Posted On: 9/26/2020
Felix_H
Felix_H
Hi there,

I'm a Canadian citizen living abroad, and I plan to move back to Ontario with my kids in a couple of years. Would you mind helping me with the general dates / deadlines to register my kids with the local public (English) schools (Elementary & Secondary)?

If I want to start my kids in September for the new school year, what are the typical due dates to register with public schools ahead of time?

Are public schools open during the summer vacation months (July & August) to manage administration?

Thank you!

Felix
link

Posted On: 9/30/2020
Hello There,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us.

You may find some helpful information regarding enrolling children in school here: How do I enrol my child in school?

School administration offices are typically open all year, and the deadlines typically vary between local district school boards. These deadlines are not strict, it is also possible for your children to start school in the middle of the school year or semester should you return to Canada after September.

Ontario has 4 free public schooling systems, and attendance in public school will be determined by home address. Once you determine the school district you will live in, it is best that you call the administration office for information about registration dates.

We hope this information is helpful. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
link
Felix_H
Felix_H

Posted On: 10/1/2020
Felix_H
Felix_H
Thank you for running this very helpful website and taking the time to reply to each question on this forum! Really appreciate it!
link

Posted On: 10/1/2020
We are glad you found helpful information in this thread and on our website, thank you for sharing your question with us! Please feel free to post again if you ever have more questions.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org team
link
Chum
Chum

Posted On: 7/25/2022
Chum
Chum
Hi.

We will be landing in October 2022 in Quebec and would like to get my 12 year old daughter admitted to a school.

• What documents are required to get her admitted?
• As I am not very comfortable with the current Covid situation, I prefer for her to do an online school for a year till the situation improves. Is it possible to get an online school anywhere in Canada for 7th grade?

Thank you for any assistance that you can provide.

God bless!
Paul.
link
Amulek
Amulek

Posted On: 4/23/2023
Amulek
Amulek
Moderator wrote:
Hello There,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us.

Here is some helpful information about enrolling children in school: How do I enrollHow do I enrol my child in school?

School administration offices are typically open all year, and the deadlines typically vary between local district school boards. These deadlines are not strict, it is also possible for your children to start school in the middle of the school year or semester should you return to Canada after September.

Ontario has 4 free public schooling systems, and attendance in public school will be determined by home address. Once you determine the school district you will live in, it is best that you call the administration office for information about registration dates.

We hope this information is helpful. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team

Thanks for the useful information! My children and I plan to return to Canada next year and are now actively exploring the possibility of enrolling our child in school.
link

Posted On: 4/30/2023
Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your situation with us, we are happy to have provided you with helpful information in this process. With regards to documentation for enrolment, you might find helpful information in the Settlement.Org article, How do I enrol my child in school? here is an excerpt:
When you enrol your child in publicly funded schools in Ontario you will need to provide only the following documents to register your child:
  • Proof of your child’s age - You can use their birth certificate, passport or other travel or identity documents
  • Proof of address - If you don’t have an Ontario Photo ID card or Ontario Driver’s License you can provide a bank statement, utility bill, or lease that shows your name and address
  • Proof of guardianship - Only needed if you are not the child’s parent
  • Immunization Records - You can get a printout from their healthcare provider
Many settlement agencies can help you with registering your child for school. If you need assistance enrolling your child you can ask your settlement worker or the school’s settlement worker for help. They can also help you find an interpreter if you need one.

We hope this information is helpful, please follow up with us if you have any further questions.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org team
link
KelvinN
KelvinN

Posted On: 2/5/2024
KelvinN
KelvinN
For a September start in Ontario public schools, it's best to register your kids in the spring or early summer (April to June) of the same year. School boards usually remain open in summer (July and August) for late registrations, but earlier is preferable. You'll need documents like proof of age, residency, and immunization records for registration.
link
alexcray
alexcray

Posted On: 2/15/2024
alexcray
alexcray
Felix_H wrote:
Hi there,

I'm a Canadian citizen living abroad, and I plan to move back to Ontario with my kids in a couple of years. Would you mind helping me with the general dates / deadlines to register my kids with the local public (English) schools (Elementary & Secondary)?

If I want to start my kids in September for the new school year, what are the typical due dates to register with public schools ahead of time?

Are public schools open during the summer vacation months (July & August) to manage administration?

Thank you!

Felix

While deadlines can vary, aim to register your children at least 6 months before the desired start date, which in your case would be around March 2025 for a September 2025 start.
link