Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeLegal Services and Human Rights

Courts, Human Rights, Lawyers and Legal Representation, Community Legal Clinics, Legal Aid, Police...

Need Help Looking for a Lawyer 

Ruby Paul
Ruby Paul

Posted On: 9/29/2020
Ruby Paul
Ruby Paul
Hey friends,
I'm writing this for my friend, who is charged with a sexual abuse case. I knew him from my very childhood, and I'm damn sure that he is innocent. He was brought up by such loving parents, and he would never think about harming a person.
Last week he was promoted as the HR manager of his company. It was on that day we all were shocked by hearing the news that he got arrested for sexual abuse. His co-worker filed the case. She was senior to my friend, and everyone in their company knew; she did this because of her bitterly resented on his promotion. Her name was also urged for the promotion earlier. It was only because of my friend's sincerity, and hardship led to this position so fast.
My father's friend suggested a criminal defence lawyer for the case. Friends, I need your valuable suggestion for selecting a lawyer. Also, about the care that must be taken to proceed with the matter. I'm eagerly waiting for your responses.
Thanks.
link

Posted On: 9/29/2020
Hi There,

Thank you for reaching out to us about this question. We understand that this can be a stressful situation, and hope we can provide helpful information to you and your friend.

If your friend's colleague has reported sexual abuse to the authorities, it is up to police to determine whether or not they can charge and arrest the accused. In which case, your friend may want to find legal help in criminal law. You may also find helpful information in Steps to Justice's article series on getting legal help in criminal law.

Between civil suit and criminal court, survivors of sexual abuse have a few different legal options they can pursue. Here is an excerpt on the legal options from the Ontario Women's Justice Network article, Sexual Assault: What are my Legal Options?:
Many survivors think that calling the police and using the criminal law is their only legal option if they have been sexually assaulted. While this is the only option that can lead to the person who assaulted you going to jail, there are other legal choices. Your other choices include making a human rights complain, a complaint to a disciplinary or professional governing body (for example, your university or the College of Physicians and Surgeons Complaints Committee etc.), or bringing a lawsuit in Civil Court. If you have been sexually assaulted, there is no right or wrong way to react. You should make the best decision for you.

Depending on the type of case, your friend may want to connect with a community legal clinic for advice regarding his situation. It may also help to connect with a community resource navigator at 211 to narrow your search for a community legal clinic. 211 Ontario is a free, confidential service.

Their phone service is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Here is a link to their live chat if you prefer to communicate online. Their live chat service is available Monday to Friday from 7am-9pm ET.

We hope this information is helpful, please let us know if you have further questions.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
link