Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeSponsoring Family

Sponsorship of parents, children, spouses (common-law, conjugal, same sex), refugees.

Who to be the sponsor, my wife or I? 

Mr E
Mr E

Posted On: 10/1/2020
Mr E
Mr E
I am a Canadian citizen who sponsored my wife from the Philippines 6 years ago. She has her pr-card and we have lived together in Canada for 6 years. My wife included her now 30 year old son on the original papers. Now we want to sponsor her son to come to Canada. My question is Which one of us should be the sponsor and which one the co-sponsor. I am the major income provider as the current COVID situation has left my wife unemployed. This is not a major problem as my income is sufficient for all our needs. So is it best for me or my wife to identify as the sponsor on the papers?
link
PMM
PMM

Posted On: 10/1/2020
PMM
PMM
Hi

Mr E wrote:
I am a Canadian citizen who sponsored my wife from the Philippines 6 years ago. She has her pr-card and we have lived together in Canada for 6 years. My wife included her now 30 year old son on the original papers. Now we want to sponsor her son to come to Canada. My question is Which one of us should be the sponsor and which one the co-sponsor. I am the major income provider as the current COVID situation has left my wife unemployed. This is not a major problem as my income is sufficient for all our needs. So is it best for me or my wife to identify as the sponsor on the papers?

1. Your spouse would be the sponsor, you would be the co-signer.

2. I have no idea under what program that your wife's son could be sponsored, as he is well over the age of 22.
link