Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomePermanent Resident Card

How to apply, processing time, if you're outside of Canada...

The possibility of renew PR card without SIN 

miller
miller

Posted On: 10/5/2020
miller
miller
I was landed in 2011 for only a week then back to my first country. In 2015, I was back in Canada again but stay for only two weeks. However, my PR card expired in July 2016.

In late 2019, I was back in Canada by eTA. However, when I tried to go to Service Canada for at least 5 times to apply for SIN, they rejected my request because the new regulation had been passed in 2016 that "the confirmation of PR is acceptable if used within one year of the date you became a PR. The PR card is required after this period".

I am now studying a course at a public college, I have a bank account with a debit card and credit card, cell phone bills, health card and driving license to indicated that I have been living here since late 2019. I am worried about the process of renewal of PR card and I have the following questions want to seek for the professional advice:

1. Am I eligible to renew my PR card but without SIN and taxation report?
2. What can I file my taxation report to CRA without a SIN?
3. How can I file my taxation report instead of using the SIN?

Please accept my apology for causing any inconvenience to all of you. Thank you very much.
link

Posted On: 10/21/2020
Hello There,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us.

You may find helpful information in the Settlement.Org article, What is a SIN and do I need one?
In most cases you need a SIN to file your income taxes. In some cases, you cannot get a SIN because you are not eligible. This is the case for some temporary residents. If you cannot get a SIN, you can use an Individual Tax Number (ITN) or Temporary Taxation Number (TTN) to file taxes, instead of a SIN.

You can find more information on getting an individual tax number here: T1261 Application for a Canada Revenue Agency Individual Tax Number (ITN) for Non-Residents.

According to IRCC, these are the things you'll need to include in your PR card renewal application:
Include with your application:
  • your PR card:
    • If you are applying to renew your card, keep your current card and include a photocopy of it with your application.
    • If you are applying to replace a card because it is damaged or the information on it is wrong, send the card with your application.
  • a clear copy of:
    • your valid passport or travel document, or
    • the passport or travel document you held at the time you became a permanent resident
  • two photos that meet our photo specifications
  • any other identity documents listed in the Document Checklist (see the application package),
  • a copy of the receipt for the processing fee, and
  • a solemn declaration if your PR card was lost, stolen, destroyed or you didn’t receive it within 180 days of immigrating to Canada.

You can find more general information on the IRCC website under Apply for, renew or replace a PR card. If you have more detailed questions about your specific situation you may wish to contact the IRCC Client Support Centre directly, you can do so by phone from within Canada, and via their webform.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

We hope this information is helpful.

Settlement.Org Team
link
Kevin
Kevin

Posted On: 1/18/2023
Kevin
Kevin
Dear Miller,
I am exactly in the situation like you, landed in 2011. But I came back to Canada in 2022. I don’t have SIN neither. I am worried if I can renew my PR card after 2 years. Please share your experience with me. Could you renew your PR card after 2 years or could you find a way to file your tax?
Thanks for your help,
link