Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeQuestions about Permanent Residency

Note that Settlement.Org is unable to answer questions about how to immigrate. Residency requirements, Government in Canada, Bringing child born overseas...

PR card renewal 

happy_canadian
happy_canadian

Posted On: 10/21/2020
happy_canadian
happy_canadian
Hello,
My parents PR card expired last year and they have not lived in Canada for the required number of days, how can I bring them to Canada and also how to renew their expired PR cards ?
Thanks
IQ
link

Posted On: 10/29/2020
Hello There,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us.

Based on information on the IRCC website, your parents will likely need to apply for a Permanent Resident Travel Document to return to Canada.

According to the IRCC Help Centre article What happens if my permanent resident card expires while I am outside Canada?:
If you’re outside Canada and don’t have a valid PR card, you need a permanent resident travel document (PRTD) to return to Canada. You can only apply for a PRTD from outside Canada. If you try to return to Canada without a PR card or PRTD, you may not be able to take your flight, train, bus or boat to Canada.

You may find useful information in the article on Settlement.Org, What are the residency requirements for permanent residents (PRs)? Here is an excerpt:

To meet these residency obligations, you must be physically present in Canada for at least 730 days (2 years) in every 5-year period. The 5-year period is assessed on a rolling basis. Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) will look back at your time in Canada over the previous 5 years.

This means that you can spend a total of up to 3 years outside of Canada during a 5-year period.

This does not necessarily mean they have lost PR status, an official process must begin for one to lose PR status. IRCC may also take humanitarian and compassionate reasons into consideration for your parents extended stay outside. This is up to IRCC and it would be best to contact a local visa office or IRCC via web form to get more details about their specific application and what kind of supporting documents they may require.

You may also wish to consult a reputable and registered immigration consultant or an immigration lawyer about their situation.

We hope this information is helpful. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

Settlement.Org Team
link