Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeElementary and Secondary School

Adult Education, Elementary and Secondary School...

Is it too late to register my kids for school? 

janetjackson
janetjackson

Posted On: 10/29/2020
janetjackson
janetjackson
I want my kids to go to a French public school how do I enrol them? Is it too late in the school year? My youngest is 8 and my oldest is 14 entering high school. Can she still pick courses?
link

Posted On: 10/29/2020
Hello,

Thanks for sharing your question with us. It is great that you are looking into this type of information before your arrival.

According to one of our Education Experts, it is possible to start school in the middle of the school year or semester.

Students can start school at any time but starting in the middle of the school year or semester might make it difficult to get credits for the courses he or she is studying. In terms of credits, they generally apply more to higher grades like middle or high school grades. For your daughter, you may be interested in this Settlement.Org article on high school and course choices which shares a Parent Tip Sheet from People for Education. You may also find additional resources on Settlement.Org on Education helpful in supporting your children through elementary and secondary school.

Since one of your children are in elementary school, in terms of extra work or homework, it may be something that you may want to discuss with your children's teachers once they are enrolled and begin attending school. It may help to have a discussion with them to find out if and what is needed for your children to catch up.

You can find some additional information regarding enrolling children in school here, How do I enrol my child in school? In addition to the usual requirements, your children may be required to test for COVID-19 and/or quarantine for two weeks if you have travelled recently. Since you are in Ajax, you may want to contact the Durham District School Board about enrolling them in a local French school.

We hope this information is helpful. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

Settlement.Org Team
link