Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeLandlord and Tenant Information and Issues

Landlord/tenant rights, dealing with problems, where to get help...

Is tenant insurance mandatory in Ontario? 

rita
rita

Posted On: 10/30/2020
rita
rita
Hey guys,
I recently received a notice of an annual rent hike from my landlord. Also, saying that tenant insurance is now required before any tenancy or renewal. Even though I find it unnecessary and a waste of money as our landlord had demanded to do so, I had no other option than agreeing. As a result, I consulted an insurance agent, and they explained to me the importance of renters insurance.
After discussing tenant insurance with the expert, I realized that I was wrong as it provides many benefits than we imagine. As a newbie in applying for tenant insurance, I've some doubts and concerns.
Is tenant insurance mandatory in Ontario?
Does insurance amount varies from company to company?
link

Posted On: 11/9/2020
Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your question and situation with us.

Tenants insurance is not mandatory in Ontario, but may be a condition that a landlord requires and will usually be stated on the lease. If you are interested shopping for tenants insurance, you may find helpful information in the Settlement.Org article, Do I have to get tenant insurance?

We hope this information is helpful. Please let us know if you have further questions and if there is any follow up to your question/situation.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org team
link