Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeFinding a Place to Live

Finding housing, buying a house, landlord/tenant rights.

How can I find help with housing in the GTA? 

Stephon
Stephon

Posted On: 10/31/2020
Stephon
Stephon
I am a single mother of one and is looking for a place to live. I started school in January of 2020 for hairstyling while working at Walmart. Unfortunately due to my accident in the year of 2019, I wasn't able to continue to work so I had to leave the job. Furthermore, with the whole Covid-19 pandemic, my studies were affected, and my end date was extended by another 2 months. Being in school from 9-5 is impossible to get a job to work cause many store are close early. Moreover, its impossible to work night shift because it just me and my daughter. Due to this situation it is hard to find a place knowing that I dont have a job. Also keep in mind, I start a part time apprenticeship job as a hairstylist to achieve my hours so I can become a entrepreneur in the future. I work only on Saturdays and still isn't enough to help me find a place. I am currently confused about how to go about finding a place for me and my daughter to live. Our living situation isn't the best thing and it is heart breaking knowing how difficult it is in finding a place. I hope I can get some advice on a few was of how I can go about finding a place to live . I am currently living in Brampton Ontario and looking for a place outside to live outside of Brampton along with Toronto.
link

Posted On: 11/2/2020
Stephon wrote:
I am a single mother of one and is looking for a place to live. I started school in January of 2020 for hairstyling while working at Walmart. Unfortunately due to my accident in the year of 2019, I wasn't able to continue to work so I had to leave the job. Furthermore, with the whole Covid-19 pandemic, my studies were affected, and my end date was extended by another 2 months. Being in school from 9-5 is impossible to get a job to work cause many store are close early. Moreover, its impossible to work night shift because it just me and my daughter. Due to this situation it is hard to find a place knowing that I dont have a job. Also keep in mind, I start a part time apprenticeship job as a hairstylist to achieve my hours so I can become a entrepreneur in the future. I work only on Saturdays and still isn't enough to help me find a place. I am currently confused about how to go about finding a place for me and my daughter to live. Our living situation isn't the best thing and it is heart breaking knowing how difficult it is in finding a place. I hope I can get some advice on a few was of how I can go about finding a place to live . I am currently living in Brampton Ontario and looking for a place outside to live outside of Brampton along with Toronto.

Hello There,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us.

It is best that you connect with housing assistance services near you. Community agencies that provide housing assistance services will be able to support you in finding suitable accommodation for the short-term and long-term. It may also help to connect with a community resource navigator at 211 to narrow your search.

211 Ontario is a free, confidential service. Their phone service is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Here is a link to their live chat if you prefer to communicate online. Their live chat service is available Monday to Friday from 7am-9pm ET.

You may also find helpful information on housing in the Settlement.Org articles, How can I look for rental housing? and How can I apply for subsidized housing?.

Settlement.Org also has a Financial Assistance section, where you can find information on various government programs and financial supports you may be eligible for. Finding work can be challenging, you may want to look through Settlement.Org articles on job listings to help you find work. You may also wish to seek the support of an employment counsellor for help with your cover letter and resume.

A number of settlement services are providing intake appointments online and over the phone to support clients remotely. You may want to connect with a settlement agency that provides employment services using our Services Near Me section or contact 211 again. Settlement agencies can also help you find financial assistance options.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

We hope this information is helpful.

Settlement.Org Team

link