Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeGeneral Citizenship Questions

Citizenship tests, timelines, oaths, eligibility, application process, requirements

My work permit has expired, what can I do? 

ForumUser
ForumUser

Posted On: 11/5/2020
ForumUser
ForumUser
My work permit expired. What can I do? My SIN also expired, and I can't apply for CERB.
link

Posted On: 11/6/2020
Hi there,

If you are a temporary resident, you will need a work permit and a Social Insurance Number (SIN) to work in Canada. You will first need to apply for a work permit from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). If you are approved for a work permit, you can then apply for a Social Insurance Number (SIN).

Since your permit has already expired, it is up to IRCC to reject or accept your application. Unfortunately, we can only provide general information. You may want to try and contact the IRCC to see if they can provide some additional information or an explanation for case-specific information.

You may also wish to consult a reputable and registered immigration consultant or an immigration lawyer for advice regarding your situation. StepstoJustice.ca also has a section on accessing free and low-cost legal services in Immigration law.

In the meantime, please feel free to browse other financial assistance options. Some programs require a SIN, but some do not and I suggest you connect with a settlement worker to narrow your options. A number of settlement services are providing intake appointments online and over the phone to support clients remotely. You may want to connect with a settlement agency using our Services Near Me section.

It may help to connect with a community resource navigator at 211 to narrow your search. Settlement agencies can help you find financial assistance and housing options. It helps to be specific and explain your situation (if you're comfortable) and/or the type of services you are looking for to the operator so they can help provide you the best referral.

211 Ontario is a free, confidential service. Their phone service is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Here is a link to their live chat if you prefer to communicate online. Their live chat service is available Monday to Friday from 7am-9pm ET.

I hope this information is helpful, if you have any additional questions please feel free to follow up with us and post in the discussion forum.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
link