Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomePermanent Resident Card

How to apply, processing time, if you're outside of Canada...

Should I apply for a PRTD? 

MEHAK_AHUJA_704
MEHAK_AHUJA_704

Posted On: 11/23/2020
MEHAK_AHUJA_704
MEHAK_AHUJA_704
Hi there,

I landed first time in Canada on 30th August, 2020 as a PR. Was informed during my immigration that the card would come in 90 days and accordingly I got my wedding fixed in India and got my tickets for 2ns December, 2020. But I got a mail saying that my Images where not up to the standard so I sent them again. But with only 9 Days to my flight and no status of my PR card approaching is it safe to rely on PRTD and exit the country? If it was a normal situation (Pre-corona) I would not worry so much, but now with VANS closed everywhere I am not sure what to do.

Also I asked a few people who mentioned that I should inform the immigration before leaving the country, all I could think of was raising a webform which I did and have received a reply on yet.

Please suggest what can be done? and also If there is a specific email or link I need to request on.

Thank you in advance
link

Posted On: 11/30/2020
Hello,

Thank you for sharing your question with us.

We can appreciate that you would be concerned about this situation.

Permanent residents can use a valid PR Card or PRTD to return to Canada. Since you do not have a physical PR card, you may wish to

apply for a PRTD to enter Canada.

According to Settlement.Org article, I need to leave Canada but do not have my PR card yet. What should I do?

The [Permanent Resident] Travel Document can only be used once.
[...]
It is important that you check the expiry date of your PR card before you travel. If you need to renew it, you should apply before you travel. Find more information about renewing a PR card.

To be eligible for a PRTD you must meet a certain set of requirements:

• prove who you are;
  • confirm your permanent resident status; and
  • meet the residency obligation of a permanent resident.

You can find information on applying for your Permanent Resident Travel Document on the IRCC website.

You may also wish to contact the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) Call Centre directly to confirm this information and see if they have any information they can provide you that is specific to your case. You can contact them at 1-888-242-2100 (In Canada Only), or submit a case-specific enquiry online.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

We hope this information is helpful.

Settlement.Org Team
link
mariusro26
mariusro26

Posted On: 12/1/2020
mariusro26
mariusro26
Hi there,

I landed first time in Canada on 14th September, 200, now I have only a certified copy, of Landing Emigrant, I don't have anymore the original.
Is this Certified copy available when I apply for old age pension, I need help, Thank You
link
MEHAK_AHUJA_704
MEHAK_AHUJA_704

Posted On: 12/2/2020
MEHAK_AHUJA_704
MEHAK_AHUJA_704
Thank you moderator.

I contacted them they said I can leave it is not going to be a problem, and also I raised a webform which mentioned the same.

So all set to leave in 2 days

Thank you so much💓
link

Posted On: 12/3/2020
MEHAK_AHUJA_704 wrote:
Thank you moderator.

I contacted them they said I can leave it is not going to be a problem, and also I raised a webform which mentioned the same.

So all set to leave in 2 days

Thank you so much💓

Hi there,

That is great news! Thank you for the update, this information is helpful for us and the community.

Please let us know if you have further questions and if there is any follow up to your question/situation. We are wishing you safe travels!

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org team
link

Posted On: 12/3/2020
mariusro26 wrote:
Hi there,

I landed first time in Canada on 14th September, 200, now I have only a certified copy, of Landing Emigrant, I don't have anymore the original.
Is this Certified copy available when I apply for old age pension, I need help, Thank You

Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your situation question with us. We appreciate that you would be concerned about this situation, since your Record of Landing and Citizenship Certificate are papers that you may need in the future as supporting documents for applications like the Old Age Security Pension.

According to Service Canada, certified true copies of the required documents are accepted for this application. Documents can be certified by Service Canada staff free of charge at any Service Canada centre.

Keep your certified copy in a safe place for when you put together your application for the Old Age Security Pension.

We hope this information is helpful. Please let us know if you have any further questions or would like to update us on your situation.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org team
link
Anita Jon
Anita Jon

Posted On: 2/24/2021
Anita Jon
Anita Jon
Hi @Mehak, I am in similar situation as yours, I am wondering if you can share with me details of the options you selected on the case specific enquiry form and also while calling the customer care. When you returned to Canada did you need PRTD? What documents you had to show to return back to Canada?
link
chandanthukral05
chandanthukral05

Posted On: 3/17/2021
Hi Anita & Mehak,

I am in the same situation. Could you please share your experience. I am planning to go to India for 5 weeks. And I do not have my PR card. Is it enough time for a PRTD to arrive? Or would I have to wait longer. Please advise and share your PRTD timelines.
link
MEHAK_AHUJA_704
MEHAK_AHUJA_704

Posted On: 3/17/2021
MEHAK_AHUJA_704
MEHAK_AHUJA_704
It worked out fine. You can apply for PRTD or in case someone in Canada receives your PR card may be you can ask them to send it to you by post.

Both option would work. With the current restrictions, I am not sure how lonv it will take for you to get PRTD but it was happening in 2 weeks time earlier
link