Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomePermanent Resident Card

How to apply, processing time, if you're outside of Canada...

Can my wife still sponsor me if I renounce my PR? 

Envisenvis
Envisenvis

Posted On: 12/6/2020
Envisenvis
Envisenvis
Hello
I became PR via the Federal skilled worker programme. I want to renounce my PR status since I cannot stay in Canada for 730 days. Can My wife who is a Canadian citizen sponsor me in the future if I renounce my PR now?
link

Posted On: 12/16/2020
Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your question and situation with us.

Renouncing PR status is a voluntary process. If your PR card expires while you are outside Canada, you may still be considered a permanent resident. If you cannot meet the residency requirements for permanent residents (PRs) and must stay for family and personal reasons, IRCC may take humanitarian and compassionate reasons into consideration for your extended stay. However, this is up to IRCC and it would be best for you to contact the local visa office or IRCC via web form to get more details about your specific application.

We spoke to a representative at IRCC, and renouncing your PR status now will not affect any future applications for permanent residence, including a sponsorship application where your wife sponsors you. If you choose to renounce your PR, you may want the advice of a reputable and registered immigration consultant or a lawyer familiar with immigration law for advice regarding your situation.

If you contact 211 and speak to a Community Resource Navigator, they may be able to connect you to local legal services. 211 Ontario is a free, confidential service. Their phone service is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Here is a link to their live chat if you prefer to communicate online. Their live chat service is available Monday to Friday from 7am-9pm ET.

You may also find helpful information in the Settlement.Org articles, How do I find a lawyer? and What other kinds of legal help can I get? on how to find a reputable and registered lawyer or immigration consultant.

We wish you all the best, and feel free to follow up with us if you have any additional questions.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org team
link
mmhossain
mmhossain

Posted On: 6/29/2022
mmhossain
mmhossain
Hi All,
I am planning to give up (renounce) my Canada PR due to non-compliance of residency law (730 days) as it is approaching the expiry. My spouse has completed her required 1095 days and applied for citizenship including my two sons (17 and 19 years). Currently my spouse is working as Human Resource Administrator with yearly salary of CA$ 51k in Canada. I am currently unable to return to Canada for 5 years due to work and family responsibility. My question is can my wife apply for my PR after 5 years as a spouse and if yes what should I do during renouncing the PR for following matters;
1. My bank account jointly with my wife. Do I need to inform the bank for my PR status?

2. My TFSA account.

3. Credit card in my name.

4. Car in my name (my wife and sons are using currently and their names are added in the insurance declaration)

5. Driving license - can I renew this while in visit visa?

6. House property (owning jointly me and my wife)

7. Utility (Water, electricity and gas connection in my name)

Look forward to hearing from any expert on this matter.
link