Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomePermanent Resident Card

How to apply, processing time, if you're outside of Canada...

PR card renewal 

Envisenvis
Envisenvis

Posted On: 12/11/2020
Envisenvis
Envisenvis
Hello,
I read on IRCC website that I should be present in Canada and provide a residence address in Canada to renew my PR Card. I have complied with residency obligations and I am going to work in Europe for the time being, my PR card expires in October. However, I cannot be present in Canada more than 2 weeks next July, in order to apply for my new card. What can I do in this case and what address should I provide as a residence address in Canada since I will not have a residence address in Canada? Will the temporary address that I will stay fin Canada for two weeks next July, in order to apply for PR card be sufficient? Since my actual card expires in October, Can I leave Canada before my new card is issued and come back again to get it delivered?
link

Posted On: 12/16/2020
Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your question and situation with us.

We spoke to a representative at IRCC who confirmed that you must be physically present in Canada to submit your application for PR renewal. The card will also need to be mailed to a Canadian address. This may or may not fit your two-week window, so you may instead wish to use a family address.

Are you eligible?
To be eligible for a PR Card, you must:
  • be a permanent resident of Canada;
  • be physically present in Canada;
  • meet the residency requirement (see Appendix A – Residency obligation);
  • not be under an effective removal order;
  • not be a Canadian citizen; and
  • not be convicted of an offense related to the misuse of a PR Card
Permanent Residents outside of Canada
If you are outside Canada and do not have a valid PR Card to return, you must get a Permanent Resident Travel Document from a Visa Application Centre or a Canadian visa office.

You may also find helpful information in the Settlement.Org article, What are the residency requirements for permanent residents (PRs)?. Here is an excerpt:
As a permanent resident, you may travel outside Canada after you arrive. However, you must meet certain residency obligations to maintain your status as a permanent resident.
To meet these residency obligations, you must be physically present in Canada for at least 730 days (2 years) in every 5-year period. The 5-year period is assessed on a rolling basis. Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) will look back at your time in Canada over the previous 5 years.

This means that you can spend a total of up to 3 years outside of Canada during a 5-year period. However, if you have been a permanent resident for less than 5 years and decide to leave the country for an extended period of time, it is up to you to prove to IRCC that you will be able to meet your residency requirements.

It sounds like you have met your residency requirement to maintain PR status. For information specific to your situation, you may also want to submit a case-specific inquiry using IRCC’s web form.

It may be best to consult a reputable and registered immigration consultant or an immigration lawyer familiar with immigration issues and family law for advice regarding your situation. To find a community legal clinic in your area, visit Services Near Me.

For further reading, you may also find helpful information in the Settlement.Org articles, What are the residency requirements for permanent residents (PRs)?, Should I get help with my immigration application from an immigration consultant or lawyer? and Frequently Asked Questions about the Permanent Resident Card.

We hope this information is helpful. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
link
dharmasenan
dharmasenan

Posted On: 12/16/2020
dharmasenan
dharmasenan
Can we renew our PR Card with expired passport. CIC web site states that you can apply with a current valid passport or the passport that you had during your PR Landing.

Its highly confusing and contradicting statement can any body clarify this question. With simple yes/no
link

Posted On: 12/18/2020
dharmasenan wrote:
Can we renew our PR Card with expired passport. CIC web site states that you can apply with a current valid passport or the passport that you had during your PR Landing.

Its highly confusing and contradicting statement can any body clarify this question. With simple yes/no

Hi there,

You are correct. You can use the expired passport if it is the passport you held at the time you became a permanent resident. If this is the case, be sure to include the passport page that was stamped when you arrived in Canada and became a permanent resident. We spoke to a representative at IRCC, and they also suggest that you include a letter explaining why you cannot mail a renewed passport.

According to IRCC, these are the things you'll need to include in your PR card renewal application:
Include with your application:
  • your PR card:
    • If you are applying to renew your card, keep your current card and include a photocopy of it with your application.
    • If you are applying to replace a card because it is damaged or the information on it is wrong, send the card with your application.
  • a clear copy of:
    • your valid passport or travel document, or
    • the passport or travel document you held at the time you became a permanent resident
  • two photos that meet our photo specifications
  • any other identity documents listed in the Document Checklist (see the application package),
  • a copy of the receipt for the processing fee, and
  • a solemn declaration if your PR card was lost, stolen, destroyed or you didn’t receive it within 180 days of immigrating to Canada.

If you have more detailed questions about your specific situation you may wish to contact the IRCC Client Support Centre directly, you can do so by phone from within Canada, and via their webform.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

We hope this information is helpful.

Settlement.Org Team
link
orlin
orlin

Posted On: 1/26/2021
orlin
orlin
Hi Tthere,; I have a question regarding to if is necessary to translate the birth certificates of my daughters or only a copy of them because they are in Spanish in order to renew their PR cards?

Thank you!
link

Posted On: 2/4/2021
Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your question and situation with us. You may find helpful information in the IRCC guide, Applying for a Permanent Resident Card (PR Card) - First application, replacement, renewal or to change gender identifier (IMM 5445)

You must submit the following for any document that is not in English or French, unless otherwise stated on your document checklist:
  • the English or French translation; and
  • an affidavit from the person who completed the translation (if they’re not a certified translator); and
  • a certified copy of the original document.
Important information: Translations must not be done by the applicants themselves nor by an applicant’s parent, guardian, sibling, spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner, grandparent, child, aunt, uncle, niece, nephew or first cousin.
If the translation is not done by a certified translator (a member in good standing of a provincial or territorial association of translators and interpreters in Canada), you must submit an affidavit swearing to the accuracy of the translation and the language proficiency of the translator.

An affidavit is a document on which the translator has sworn, in the presence of a person authorized to administer oaths in the country where the translator is living, that the contents of their translation are a true translation and representation of the contents of the original document.

Since the document you are submitting is not in either of Canada's official languages, you will need to provide a translated copy for PR card renewal. You can find information on how to find a professional or certified translator in the Settlement.Org article, How do I get my documents translated?.

We hope this information is helpful. Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org team
link
carmenc
carmenc

Posted On: 2/8/2021
carmenc
carmenc
Hi there,

Regarding this situation with the address, we are applying for PR renewal, but will be leaving Canada in 1 month and will give a family address to receive the PR.
Should I put my current address in the application in the "current residential address" box, and my family address for mailing?
Or should I put only my current address and after applying change it online?

Thanks

Moderator wrote:
Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your question and situation with us.

We spoke to a representative at IRCC who confirmed that you must be physically present in Canada to submit your application for PR renewal. The card will also need to be mailed to a Canadian address. This may or may not fit your two-week window, so you may instead wish to use a family address.

Are you eligible?
To be eligible for a PR Card, you must:
  • be a permanent resident of Canada;
  • be physically present in Canada;
  • meet the residency requirement (see Appendix A – Residency obligation);
  • not be under an effective removal order;
  • not be a Canadian citizen; and
  • not be convicted of an offense related to the misuse of a PR Card
Permanent Residents outside of Canada
If you are outside Canada and do not have a valid PR Card to return, you must get a Permanent Resident Travel Document from a Visa Application Centre or a Canadian visa office.

You may also find helpful information in the Settlement.Org article, What are the residency requirements for permanent residents (PRs)?. Here is an excerpt:
As a permanent resident, you may travel outside Canada after you arrive. However, you must meet certain residency obligations to maintain your status as a permanent resident.
To meet these residency obligations, you must be physically present in Canada for at least 730 days (2 years) in every 5-year period. The 5-year period is assessed on a rolling basis. Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) will look back at your time in Canada over the previous 5 years.

This means that you can spend a total of up to 3 years outside of Canada during a 5-year period. However, if you have been a permanent resident for less than 5 years and decide to leave the country for an extended period of time, it is up to you to prove to IRCC that you will be able to meet your residency requirements.

It sounds like you have met your residency requirement to maintain PR status. For information specific to your situation, you may also want to submit a case-specific inquiry using IRCC’s web form.

It may be best to consult a reputable and registered immigration consultant or an immigration lawyer familiar with immigration issues and family law for advice regarding your situation. To find a community legal clinic in your area, visit Services Near Me.

For further reading, you may also find helpful information in the Settlement.Org articles, What are the residency requirements for permanent residents (PRs)?, Should I get help with my immigration application from an immigration consultant or lawyer? and Frequently Asked Questions about the Permanent Resident Card.

We hope this information is helpful. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
link