Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeGeneral Citizenship Questions

Citizenship tests, timelines, oaths, eligibility, application process, requirements

Citizenship Requirement 

youbie
youbie

Posted On: 12/23/2020
youbie
youbie
Hello Everyone!

I am a permanent resident of Canada and will soon have to be applying for my citizenship.

I am yet to complete a year; out of the 1090 days for the citizenship requirements. However I am getting married to a Canadian citizen and accompanying to stay with him in another country. Would those days account for my presence in Canada for me to be able to apply for citizenship? If yes, Is it ok for me to hire a representative to file my application and be out of the country? Please note, that my fiance has his own business and doesn't work for any Canadian organisation.

Please guide me with your insights, I look forward to hearing from you.

Happy Holidays!

:)
link
PMM
PMM

Posted On: 12/24/2020
PMM
PMM
Hi

youbie wrote:
Hello Everyone!

I am a permanent resident of Canada and will soon have to be applying for my citizenship.

I am yet to complete a year; out of the 1090 days for the citizenship requirements. However I am getting married to a Canadian citizen and accompanying to stay with him in another country. Would those days account for my presence in Canada for me to be able to apply for citizenship? If yes, Is it ok for me to hire a representative to file my application and be out of the country? Please note, that my fiance has his own business and doesn't work for any Canadian organisation.

Please guide me with your insights, I look forward to hearing from you.

Happy Holidays!

:)

1. No, you have to have actual physical residence in Canada to apply for citizenship, i.e. 1095 days prior to the date you apply.
2. Residing overseas with a Canadian citizen only preserves you PR status and the days abroad don't count for citizenship.
link