Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeFinding a Job / Working

Finding a Job, Job Listings, Labour Market Information (LMI), Starting a Business, Social Insurance Number, Volunteering...

How to get SIN on Expired COPR 

kinmun01
kinmun01

Posted On: 1/5/2021
kinmun01
kinmun01
Hi - I went to the SIN office and the officer told me that my COPR (Permanent Resident) has expired and she cannot issue me a new SIN. Is there a way to start working without a SIN? Due to Covid, I am not able to connect with a person on the phone. Moreover, all the physical and field offices are closed. My employer is insisting on starting the job in a week. Is there a way to expedite getting the SIN number?
link

Posted On: 1/20/2021
Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your question and situation.

You will need a SIN to work in Ontario, you may find helpful information in the StepstoJustice article: This is my first job in Canada, what do I need to work?. Here is an excerpt:

You will need a Social Insurance Number (SIN). A SIN is a 9-digit number that you need to work in Canada or to use government programs and get benefits.Your employer uses your SIN on forms that they have to fill out related to your work. For example, your SIN goes on income tax, Employment Insurance, and Canada Pension Plan forms.

Since, immigration status is relevant to the application, you may also want to consult a reputable and registered immigration consultant or an immigration lawyer for advice specific to your situation.

You can apply online or by mail, and you will receive a letter with your SIN within 20 business days from the date your application is received. If you have submitted an application and need your SIN urgently or require further assistance, Service Canada recommends that you call them directly at: 1-866-274-6627 (in Canada, toll free) or 1-506-548-7961 (outside Canada, long-distance charges apply). However, without access to a phone, you may want to fill out their online Service Request Form.

We hope this information is helpful.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org team
link
karchan33
karchan33

Posted On: 3/25/2021
karchan33
karchan33
Hi kinmun01,

What finally happened in your case? Please let me know.
link