Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeGetting Health Care (OHIP)

Health, including mental health, health card (OHIP), addictions, alternative health...

How can I get a vaccine in Ontario? 

Dutchmen2021
Dutchmen2021

Posted On: 1/6/2021
Dutchmen2021
Dutchmen2021
Dear readers,
Since June 2020 I am staying in Canada with my Canadian wife in Ontario. I am from The Netherlands and waiting for approval of my permanent residency. On the moment I am staying in Canada on a extended tourist visa. I don't have OHIP coverage but I have good insurance from The Netherlands. Because I have some big health issues I am in the highest risk group when it comes to covid-19. In The Netherlands I would be able to get a vaccine at the end of February. Because travelling is a risk during covid I won't be able to go back to The Netherlands anytime soon. How can I get a vaccine in Ontario when the same target group (people with underlying health conditions under 60) in Ontario will be vaccinated? I can't get a family GP and so far no organisation can help me answering what I should do. I hope someone can help me with this.

Thanks!
link

Posted On: 2/4/2021
Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us.

If you're curious to know whether or not you belong to a priority group that will receive the vaccine in Phase 1 or Phase 2, you can find out on the Ontario page for Getting a COVID-19 Vaccine.
Here is an excerpt:
Who is being vaccinated first
Since there will be limited supply in the first few months of the vaccine program, some groups will be able to get a COVID-19covid 19 vaccine before others.
As more vaccines become available in Canada, more groups will be able to be vaccinated.
Vaccines will initially be available for:
  • residents, staff, essential caregivers (including family caregivers) and other employees who work in congregate living settings providing care for seniors as they are at higher risk of infection and serious illness from COVID-19covid 19
  • health care workers, including hospital employees, other staff who work or study in hospitals and other health care personnel
  • adults in First Nations, Métis and Inuit populations where infection can have disproportionate consequences, including those living in remote or isolated areas where risk of transmission is high
  • adult recipients of chronic home health care
As further information becomes available from clinical trials and from Health Canada approvals, the groups for which the vaccines are authorized for use could change.
These priorities are based on advice from the:

You may also wish to call TeleHealth Ontario for specific information and advice tailored to your situation. Telehealth Ontario is a free, confidential service you can call to get health advice or information. A Registered Nurse will take your call 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Assistance is available in more than 300 languages. When you call Telehealth, tell them what language you speak and you will be connected to an interpreter.
  • Toll-free: 1-866-797-0000
  • Toll-free TTY: 1-866-797-0007

We hope this information is helpful. Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org team
link
Madas
Madas

Posted On: 4/28/2021
Madas
Madas
Hi,

I moved to Canada in July 2020 with my Canadian husband. He applied for my Sponsorship package. My application has not been processed yet, but I received an acknowledgment mail with my name on it. Now my question is related to the Vaccine. In order to register, I need an OHIP number, or some sort of an ID form the Ontario government. I have neither. How can I access the vaccine, as I am eligible at this point? and would this letter be accepted as an ID form?

Thank you
link

Posted On: 5/26/2021
Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your question and situation with us. I apologize for the belated response.

According to the Steps to Justice article I don’t have status in Canada or a health card. Can I get a COVID-19 vaccine? you do not need a valid health card to book a COVID-19 vaccine appointment in Ontario. Here is an excerpt:
You don’t need Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) coverage to get a vaccine in Ontario. The Ontario government announced that people without a health card are eligible for the vaccine.
This includes people with temporary status, such as refugee claimants with Interim Federal Health coverage and international students who don’t have OHIP. It also includes people with no status.
Some clinics in Toronto have said that they’ll give vaccines regardless of a person’s immigration status.
Your eligibility for the vaccine is based on:
  • your age
  • where you live
  • the type of work you do
If you don’t have a health card, you can’t book your vaccine appointment using the provincial online booking system. You have to contact your local public health unit to help you.
Find your local public health unit by entering your postal code. There will be a phone number for you to call. You may have to try many times to get through.
The public health unit will confirm that you’re eligible for the vaccine and help you book your appointment at a clinic or pharmacy.

We hope this information is helpful. If you have any further questions, please feel free to post them here.
Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
link