Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeLandlord and Tenant Information and Issues

Landlord/tenant rights, dealing with problems, where to get help...

What can I do to end a tenancy contract? 

judicator
judicator

Posted On: 1/8/2021
judicator
judicator
Hi I am a landlord in ontario who is currently in a fixed term lease with my tenants Bob and Alice. Initially only Bob applied to be the tenant and Alice was his girlfriend. Bob had a stable white colar job and a good credit report. While Alice does not have as good of a job. But just before signing the lease they asked if they could add Alice on the lease as well and I've accepted.

The 1-year term lease is about to expire in 60 days and it will become a month-to-month after that. Now I've just learned that Bob and Alice have broken up. Bob is not living there anymore and it was Alice who was paying for the rent for the past few months. I have not received any N9 form from Bob.

I have a feeling that Alice's income won't be enough for her to pay the rent in the long term. I want her to leave the premises but I have not told her yet.

Alice still wants to stay on the premises and wants to continue to rent month-to-month. She wants a lower rent and she wants to sign a new lease with only her name on the contract.

Do I have the right to tell her to find a new place ? If she needs some extra time to find a new place, I am ready to be flexible to give her some extra time. Bt eventually, I want her to leave.
link

Posted On: 1/21/2021
Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us.

You may find this excerpt from the Landlord Self-Help Centre useful, the Landlord's Self-Help Centre is a non-profit specialty community legal clinic funded by Legal Aid Ontario and mandated to provide support exclusively to Ontario's small landlord community.

Q: My tenants have a 1 year lease. Do I have to give a reason for not renewing their lease? I found new tenants that I’d prefer to rent to and don’t want to “kick them out” before the lease is up but I’d like to have a new tenant when the old lease is up.

A: A tenant does not have to leave at the end of the lease term, the tenancy continues on a month to month basis unless the landlord has a valid reason to terminate the tenancy. Terminating the tenancy in order to have another tenant move in is not considered a valid reason to terminate the agreement.

You may want to contact the nearest Community Legal Clinic for some advice specific to your situation. It may also help to connect with a community resource navigator at 211 to narrow your search. 211 Ontario is a free, confidential service.

Their phone service is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Here is a link to their live chat if you prefer to communicate online. Their live chat service is available Monday to Friday from 7am-9pm ET.

We hope this information is helpful.

Settlement.Org Team
link