Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomePermanent Resident Card

How to apply, processing time, if you're outside of Canada...

PR Renewal and US Travel 

fatelist
fatelist

Posted On: 1/20/2021
fatelist
fatelist
I am US ( work visa ) and Canadian resident (PR). I am currently in Canada and am meeting my residency obligations in next few weeks and will be applying for extension since it expired few days back. I work for a US company and I am a tax resident of US ( US DL, US Address etc.).My wife and son permanently live in Canada and I have been going back and forth for last 3 yrs. I have a work and personal travel coming up which I cannot avoid for which I have to travel to US. Work - Need to pick company laptop, my company does not send laptops across the border. Personal - I need to see my orthopedic - went through a shoulder surgery and need to get things rechecked.

I have two questions:

1. Does my situation qualify for expedite PR card processing? I cannot wait for 3 months for my PR card to arrive. Given the situation, I can neither avoid my travel to US nor I can leave my wife and son alone due to current situation.

2. I am planning to drive to the US. Given I would have applied by then can I come back from the land border without PR? I have landing papers, health card and expired PR card.

I would really appreciate your help.

Thanks.
link

Posted On: 1/31/2021
Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us. You may want to contact IRCC directly via web form regarding the status of your PR card application and concerns around expedited processing.

Generally, without a valid PR card, one would need to apply for a Permanent Resident Travel Document to return to Canada. You may find helpful information in the Settlement.Org article, I need to leave Canada but do not have my PR card yet. What should I do?

Here is an excerpt:
Ideally, you should wait until you have your Permanent Resident (PR) card. If you must leave Canada, you should apply for a Permanent Resident Travel Document from a Canadian visa office abroad as soon as you reach your destination.
The only official documents that permanent residents of Canada can use to travel back to Canada on a commercial carrier (by air, land or sea) are the PR card or a Permanent Resident Travel Document (PRTD), also known as a Travel Document (Permanent Resident Abroad) issued by a Canadian visa office abroad.

For information specific to your situation or advice on how to proceed with an application, you may want to contact IRCC directly via web form or by telephone: 1-888-242-2100 (in Canada only). You may also wish to consult a reputable and registered immigration consultant or an immigration lawyer for advice regarding your situation.

We hope this information is helpful. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
link