Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomePermanent Resident Card

How to apply, processing time, if you're outside of Canada...

How long to i have to hold on to my application 

Antje
Antje

Posted On: 1/27/2021
Antje
Antje
Hi All,

was trying to find some info online but didn't see anything.

I immigrated 2010. I hired a lawyer back then and I still have all the paper documentation. How long do I have to hold on to them? I'm wondering if there is a minimum time that I have to hold on to the paper copies like the 7 years for income-tax related documents?

Can I shred them? I'm thinking yes, cuz I can't find anything online.

Thanks in advance!
link

Posted On: 3/9/2021
Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your question with us.

Some documents are worth keeping safe for future use. For example, your Record of Landing document and Citizenship Certificate are documents that you may need in the future as supporting documents for applications like the Old Age Security Pension.

You may want to contact a community legal clinic for some advice regarding which documentation is important for you to keep. It may also help to connect with a community resource navigator at 211 to narrow your search. 211 Ontario is a free, confidential service.

Their phone service is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Here is a link to their live chat if you prefer to communicate online. Their live chat service is available Monday to Friday from 7am-9pm ET.

We hope this information is helpful. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
link