Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomePermanent Resident Card

How to apply, processing time, if you're outside of Canada...

PR card renewal 

Satish987
Satish987

Posted On: 2/11/2021
Satish987
Satish987
Hi
I submitted renewal of PR application on 15 October 2016. I received card in April 2017 valid from 6 April 2017 to April 2022.

Now I want to renew my card again before going to India. My 5 yrs period for PR will start from 15 October or some other date
link

Posted On: 3/29/2021
Hello There,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us.

As you already know, as a permanent resident, you may travel outside Canada after you arrive. However, you must meet certain residency obligations to maintain your status as a permanent resident.

To meet these residency obligations, you must be physically present in Canada for at least 730 days (2 years) in every 5-year period.

This means that you can spend a total of up to 3 years outside of Canada during a 5-year period. However, if you have been a permanent resident for less than 5 years and decide to leave the country for an extended period of time, it is up to you to prove to IRCC that you will be able to meet your residency requirements.

The 5-year period is assessed on a rolling basis. Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) will look back at your time in Canada over the previous 5 years.

According to IRCC, officers use the date that an application is officially received in the office in the examination of residency status. Using this date does not disadvantage the applicant in any way if the formal assessment of an application is delayed for any period of time following receipt of the application. This means that the officers use the date that an application is officially received to assess the 5-year period to meet your residency requirement.

You can find some additional information regarding meeting your residency requirements in our Settlement.Org What are the residency requirements for permanent residents (PRs)? article.

IRCC also has a travel journal resource to help you keep track and record your trips outside of Canada. In this travel journal, the date of departure from Canada as “from” and date of return to Canada as “to”.

You may want to contact IRCC using their web form to make a case-specific inquiry. You may also wish to consult a reputable and registered immigration consultant or an immigration lawyer for advice regarding your situation and help with your application.

We hope this information is helpful. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
link
Pascalibrahim
Pascalibrahim

Posted On: 4/5/2021
Pascalibrahim
Pascalibrahim
Hello,

i have a PR since 6 June 2016 when i came with my spouse and daughter for a 12 days short landing to BC Canada.
When i came back to Lebanon at that time i couldn’t come back to BC as my father had health issue. I came alone to Vancouver on the 10th of June 2019 before my 730 days expired. During that period in November 2017 my spouse gave birth to our son Raphael he was 1 year 7 months (without PR status).
Before i came here i applied for a visa for my son Raphael from the Canadian embassy in Lebanon on Early May 2019 but it was refused. That’s where my spouse and daughter had to stay in Lebanon with Raphael and couldn’t come with me. Once in Canada i applied for a sponsorship for
My son and got his visa and PR in December 2019. Once he got the visa i went to Lebanon in January 30, 2020 for 5 days and brought my family to BC Canada.
My spouce PR will expire in March 2022, mine and my daughter PR will expire in July 2021.
For my case in June 6, 2021 i will be completing the 5 years since i got my PR in June 2016 and by this date i will have 730 days inside Canada. However my daughter and wife would not be completing the residency obligation of 730 days in June 6, 2021. Can i renew my PR in that case? Can i renew My daughter PR or should i wait for 730 days...what would be the process for that...

Many thanks and best regards,
Pascal
link