Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomePermanent Resident Card

How to apply, processing time, if you're outside of Canada...

Passport pages for PR card renewal 

syunrei
syunrei

Posted On: 2/23/2021
syunrei
syunrei
Hi, I have two questions regarding PR renewal:
1. Do we need to make a photocopy of all passport pages including the blank pages (most of them are)? If there are the entry and exit stamps in a language other than English or French, should I find a notary office to notarize it?
2. There was a week in a motel before we moved into our permanent apartment after landing, should I add the address of the motel on the address history?
3. The passport will expire in 2 months, but the processing time of PR renewal is 88 days. Is the validity of passport a problem?
Thanks a lot.
Grace
link

Posted On: 3/15/2021
Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out and sharing your questions with us.

In regard to your first question, you are not required to submit all pages of your passport for a PR card renewal. The passport requirement for a PR card renewal is that you include the pages that show:
  • the document type and number,
  • the issue and expiry date,
  • your name, your photo,
  • and your date of birth.

However, according to the Permanent Resident Status Determination Manual, entry and exit stamps in your passport can be used as evidence that you have met the residency obligations of a permanent resident. If you wish to submit this information, you would just need to submit the pages with entry and exit stamps. A translation of the stamps is recommended if they are not in English.

In addition, although IRCC only needs the stamped pages of your passport, it is a good idea to provide all of the pages. The reason for this is that it adds to your credibility.

For your second question, the address history section of a PR card renewal application requires you to submit all addresses, both inside and outside Canada in the last five years, or if you have been a permanent resident for less than five years, then all the time since becoming a permanent resident. Specifically, you must be able to account for each month during this time. Since you only stayed in the motel for one week, you do not need to include it in the application form but may wish to include a cover letter to the Immigration Officer that advises that you stayed in a motel for one week (and provide the name of the motel, address, and the dates you stayed there).

Finally to answer your third question, according to Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), when applying for PR card, you must include a valid passport or the passport you had when you first became a permanent resident. In the second case, the expiry date of your passport would not be an issue, but you would have to include the passport page that was stamped when you arrived in Canada and became a permanent resident and the information page (the page with your photo and date of birth). If you do not have this passport then you would have to include a passport that will not expire during your application.

It is important to note that an expired PR card does not mean a loss of permanent resident status. If you have met all obligations of a permanent resident, you do not need to worry about an expiry of your PR card unless you plan to travel outside Canada. If you do not plan to travel soon, then you would be able to obtain a new passport before applying.

We hope this information is helpful.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org team

Disclaimer:
This document does not contain legal advice.

This document was prepared with the assistance of PBSC University of Toronto law student volunteers. PBSC volunteers are not lawyers and they are not authorized to provide legal advice. This document contains general discussion of certain legal and related issues only. If you require legal advice, please consult with a lawyer.
link
Mb
Mb

Posted On: 4/2/2021
Mb
Mb
I applied for pr as a Protect person. I received my congratulation letter for getting my pr card. Iwant to know do they send my passport with my PR card?
link