Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomePermanent Resident Card

How to apply, processing time, if you're outside of Canada...

Just accepted for PR, what's next? 

isslandboy
isslandboy

Posted On: 3/9/2021
isslandboy
isslandboy
Hi Folks,

My wife was just accepted for PR, we got the "we are processing your application you may now access pre-arrival services" letter. But it doesn't say what is next.

We want to enter Canada in April, if we don't have a PR card by then what do we do? Do they accept the acceptance letter? Is the card sent to our residence in Canada, or our residence here in Panama?

My wife is Panamanian, so as I understand it she requires a visa in her passport, does the IRCC contact us about this, do we go to the embassy here in Canada?

The lack of information is very frustrating, hard to book flights when you have no idea of time lines processes etc., especially with this covid thing.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated
link

Posted On: 3/31/2021
Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us.

Without a PR card, she may want to apply for a Permanent Resident Travel Document to travel to Canada.

Here is an excerpt from the Settlement.Org article, I need to leave Canada but do not have my PR card yet, what should I do? Here is an excerpt:
The only official documents that permanent residents of Canada can use to travel back to Canada on a commercial carrier (by air, land or sea) are the PR card or a Permanent Resident Travel Document (PRTD), also known as a Travel Document (Permanent Resident Abroad) issued by a Canadian visa office abroad.
If you are entering Canada in a private vehicle, such as your own car, and you do not present your PR card, you may be able to show other immigration documents.
For more information, read Do I really need a PR card to travel back to Canada?
It is important that you check the expiry date of your PR card before you travel. If you need to renew it, you should apply before you travel. Find more information about renewing a PR card.

You may also find the information in the Settlement.Org article, Do I really need a PR card to travel back to Canada? helpful. You may also want to contact IRCC directly with a case-specific inquiry. In which case, it is best to use their web form, here. We hope this information is helpful. If you have any further questions, please follow up with us and post here.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org team
link