Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeLandlord and Tenant Information and Issues

Landlord/tenant rights, dealing with problems, where to get help...

Mice and Temperature setting issues 

gia922
gia922

Posted On: 3/10/2021
gia922
gia922
This is about the rental place in Cabbage Town.
I've rented the unit in the basement for 1290 per month for a year.
It is utilities included and given that the location is considered in downtown, i thought it was fair but it is not little money for a freelancing student over 30-year-old single woman.
I am from s.korea and english is my second language. The reason i'm explaining all this is because i want to make sure whether there could have been any misunderstanding from my side.

There was no mentioning of mice issue before the contract, i know who would, but at first i thought it was because it is a house. i got help from my parents and was able to keep them away for over 9 months. This is my 10th month and i am preparing to move out so just gave the landlord notice today.
Notice date: March 10 2021
Moving out date: May 10 2021
Originally my contract finishes on april 28th but i was told by the landlord that the notice date should be in the MID-MONTH and it's in the Ontario regulation. But the contract paper both parties signed did not mention the mid-date rule and i asked the landlord where to find the rule in the Board.

Another issue is that the temperature in the house is around 19 C and it was okay but after the landlord came by to check the mice issue, he changed the temperature without letting me know. Now, it became 17 C. I assumed that it's because the weather outside is getting warmer but i'm not too sure why he did without notifying me.

Please help me out - whether i have to stay until the mid-month of May? I really want to get out of this place and never talk to them anymore.
link

Posted On: 3/26/2021
Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your question and situation with us.

We can appreciate that you would be concerned about this situation. I is best that you contact the nearest Community Legal Clinic for some advice regarding your situation. You can find the nearest one by using this tool here. Steps to Justice also has a compiled list of programs and services about moving out that may be helpful. If you do not qualify to receive services from a Community Legal Clinic, please contact the Landlord and Tenant Board directly.

You may find the information in the StepstoJustice article, How can I get out of my rental agreement early? to be particularly relevant to your situation. Here is an excerpt:
You may want to move out before the end of your lease or when it's too late to give enough notice. In these situations, there are things you can do to avoid owing more rent:
  • get your landlord to agree to end your tenancy
  • find another tenant to take over your place (assign or sublet)
  • give notice if your landlord refuses to let you assign
  • get the Landlord and Tenant Board to end your tenancy
You also might be able to leave early if it is no longer possible to live there. For example:
  • there is a serious danger to your health or safety
  • your place is not fit to live in because your landlord won't do repairs
  • your landlord is harassing you
In these situations, you might want to file an application to ask the Landlord and Tenant Board to end your tenancy.

We hope this information is helpful. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
link
Lahbib70
Lahbib70

Posted On: 3/29/2021
Lahbib70
Lahbib70
gia922 wrote:
This is about the rental place in Cabbage Town.
I've rented the unit in the basement for 1290 per month for a year.
It is utilities included and given that the location is considered in downtown, i thought it was fair but it is not little money for a freelancing student over 30-year-old single woman.
I am from s.korea and english is my second language. The reason i'm explaining all this is because i want to make sure whether there could have been any misunderstanding from my side.

There was no mentioning of mice issue before the contract, i know who would, but at first i thought it was because it is a house. i got help from my parents and was able to keep them away for over 9 months. This is my 10th month and i am preparing to move out so just gave the landlord notice today.
Notice date: March 10 2021
Moving out date: May 10 2021
Originally my contract finishes on april 28th but i was told by the landlord that the notice date should be in the MID-MONTH and it's in the Ontario regulation. But the contract paper both parties signed did not mention the mid-date rule and i asked the landlord where to find the rule in the Board.

Another issue is that the temperature in the house is around 19 C and it was okay but after the landlord came by to check the mice issue, he changed the temperature without letting me know. Now, it became 17 C. I assumed that it's because the weather outside is getting warmer but i'm not too sure why he did without notifying me.

Please help me out - whether i have to stay until the mid-month of May? I really want to get out of this place and never talk to them anymore.

Hi,
Please check the following links for more details regarding how to end a tenancy and what date to use on the notice of termination FORM N9:
https://www.cleo.on.ca/en/publications/moving/giving-notice-your-landlord
https://stepstojustice.ca/steps/housing-law/2-choose-correct-termination-date
https://tribunalsontario.ca/documents/ltb/Brochures/How%20a%20Tenant%20Can%20End%20Their%20Tenancy%20(EN).html#:~:text=You%20must%20provide%20the%20landlord,day%20of%20a%20rental%20period.
Thanks,
Lahbib
link