Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeGeneral Citizenship Questions

Citizenship tests, timelines, oaths, eligibility, application process, requirements

Physical Presence Calculator 

tamara
tamara

Posted On: 4/5/2021
tamara
tamara
I have the following questions regarding the physical calculator:
  • I know that the the physical calculator covers absences during the eligibility period. In my case, based on the date I am applying, the eligibility period starts in 1 July 2016. I left Canada before this date (November 2015) for one year. So when filling the ‘from’ and ‘to’ dates of absences from Canada, what should the date left Canada on the first absence be. Should it be the same date as the eligibility period start date or the actual date I left Canada which is before the eligibility date/the start date on the physical calculator?
  • According to the instructions in the physical calculator “if you visited more than one country during the same absence, list the first country in the destination and list the other countries in the reason field”. When highlighting the other countries in the reason field, should I also include the reason for visit for each? when I tried doing that I get an error that the number of characters is not enough.
link
Lahbib70
Lahbib70

Posted On: 4/7/2021
Lahbib70
Lahbib70
tamara wrote:
I have the following questions regarding the physical calculator:
  • I know that the the physical calculator covers absences during the eligibility period. In my case, based on the date I am applying, the eligibility period starts in 1 July 2016. I left Canada before this date (November 2015) for one year. So when filling the ‘from’ and ‘to’ dates of absences from Canada, what should the date left Canada on the first absence be. Should it be the same date as the eligibility period start date or the actual date I left Canada which is before the eligibility date/the start date on the physical calculator?
  • According to the instructions in the physical calculator “if you visited more than one country during the same absence, list the first country in the destination and list the other countries in the reason field”. When highlighting the other countries in the reason field, should I also include the reason for visit for each? when I tried doing that I get an error that the number of characters is not enough.

Hi Tamara,
As you know, the eligibility period used for the purpose of applying for Canadian citizenship application covers 5 years only. When calculating the absences, the system won't allow you to use dates prior of the start of the 5 years eligibility period, even if the absence started before. You will receive this note: "An absence you have entered is partially or completely outside the relevant five-year period"
Regarding the different countries you visited during the same absence, you can use (Max 400 characters) in the "field Reason"
Thank you.
Lahbib
link
behzad
behzad

Posted On: 7/17/2021
behzad
behzad
Hi Lahib, I have same question, and do not know which date to be entered as Date you left Canada.

The red message "An absence you have entered is partially or completely outside the relevant five-year period" is only a warning, and applicant can still enter and save dates before the eligibility period. I did enter, and system accepted the dates (automatically excluded days outside the five-year eligibility period from calculation)

link

Posted On: 7/31/2021
behzad wrote:
Hi Lahib, I have same question, and do not know which date to be entered as Date you left Canada.

The red message "An absence you have entered is partially or completely outside the relevant five-year period" is only a warning, and applicant can still enter and save dates before the eligibility period. I did enter, and system accepted the dates (automatically excluded days outside the five-year eligibility period from calculation)

Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your question on the discussion forum.

IRCC has a travel journal resource to help you keep track and record your trips outside of Canada. In this travel journal, the date of departure from Canada as “from” and date of return to Canada as “to”.

According to IRCC’s Physical Presence Calculator, the date of arrival and date of departure are both considered days you are present in Canada and may be excluded from your calculation for the number of days outside Canada. Please note, the intended use of this calculator is to calculate physical presence for citizenship applications. The residency requirement for citizenship requires physical presence in Canada for 1,095 days.

You may want to contact IRCC using their web form to make a case-specific inquiry. You may also wish to consult a reputable and registered immigration consultant or an immigration lawyer for advice regarding your situation and help with your application.

We hope this information is helpful. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
link