Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeQuestions about Permanent Residency

Note that Settlement.Org is unable to answer questions about how to immigrate. Residency requirements, Government in Canada, Bringing child born overseas...

When can I travel back to Canada? 

mark1005
mark1005

Posted On: 4/28/2021
mark1005
mark1005
My family first land Canada on Jun.28, 2018 as permanent residents. Our PR card was issued to us 1 year later and will expired on 24 Jul. 2024. We are now in Hong Kong. May I know when is the last day we are eligible to come back to Canada as permanent resident. Up to date, my family only stayed in Canada for two summer, about 60 days. If we don't come back this summer, we won't be able to fulfill the residency requirement of 2 years in Canada during 5year period.
Can we still entre Canada before the expiration of PR card (Jul 2024)?
Due to the pandemic, we are very hesitate to travel back to Canada, especially this year.
Look forward to receiving advice from you soon.
Angela
link
Lahbib70
Lahbib70

Posted On: 4/28/2021
Lahbib70
Lahbib70
mark1005 wrote:
My family first land Canada on Jun.28, 2018 as permanent residents. Our PR card was issued to us 1 year later and will expired on 24 Jul. 2024. We are now in Hong Kong. May I know when is the last day we are eligible to come back to Canada as permanent resident. Up to date, my family only stayed in Canada for two summer, about 60 days. If we don't come back this summer, we won't be able to fulfill the residency requirement of 2 years in Canada during 5year period.
Can we still entre Canada before the expiration of PR card (Jul 2024)?
Due to the pandemic, we are very hesitate to travel back to Canada, especially this year.
Look forward to receiving advice from you soon.
Angela

Hello,
It is not all about the expiry date of your PR card. In some instances, the PR card can still be valid, but the holder was outside Canada for more than 4 years. So, even if with one year remaining in the PR card, its holder can be challenged at the border if they decided to enter Canada since the remaining one year on the PR card would not be enough to meet the 730days residency in Canada.
What you should know is that even if you don't meet the residency obligation, you are still a PR until an official decision is made on your status.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/new-immigrants/pr-card/understand-pr-status.html
Thanks,
Lahbib
link