Lost password

HomePermanent Resident Card

How to apply, processing time, if you're outside of Canada...

Renewal of PR Card and Name Change 

Posts: 1

Posted On: 5/11/2021
Posts: 1
I'm renewing my PR card and updating my last name at the same time to match my British passport. When renewing the guide suggests that I need to send my passport and marriage certificate (I was married outside of Canada) not copies. However, the guide is not very clear on this and later in the document checklist it says to send copies of your passport. Has anyone updated the name on their PR card with copies rather than originals when the evidence was issued outside of Canada? The processing time is 3 months or more right now so I don't want to extend it especially if I do need to send originals. Thanks!
Posts: 3704

Posted On: 5/27/2021
Posts: 3704
Hi There,

Thank you for sharing your question with us, and yes the information on the application page does seem a bit confusing. We compared the public-facing application information and the operational manuals for those working in the government.

This is our understanding of this process if you changed your name in the UK and it’s reflected on your British passport you must provide certified copies of that documentation. Unless you have already changed your name on something issued by Ontario, like your OHIP card, Driver’s Licence or Ontario Photo ID card, then you can submit a certified copy of that card along with a certified copy of your marriage certificate.

According to the Applying for a Permanent Resident Card (PR Card) - First application, replacement, renewal or to change gender identifier (IMM 5445):

“Submit any of these documents issued by a civil authority in a province or territory of Canada:
  • a copy of a legal change of name document, court order, adoption order, or
  • one of the following documents (unless you were married in Quebec on or after April 2, 1981 and are now a resident of this province). The document must show your new name:
    • a marriage certificate;
    • divorce decree;
    • registration;
    • declaration of union;
    • revocation of declaration or annulment of union.

If you are a permanent resident and changed your name outside of Canada, submit:
  • a foreign passport or other national authoritative document that shows your new name; and
  • an official document linking the old and new names.”

Here is what we found in the Immigration, Refugee and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) operational manuals regarding the name change on the PR card:

"Documentation required for a change of name
The following documents (certified copies) are required to confirm the legal change of name:
  • legal change of name document;
  • court order;
  • adoption order;
  • marriage certificate issued by civil authorities indicating the new name; or
  • divorce decree indicating the new name.

In addition to the documents identified above, a certified copy of one of the following documents issued by the province is required:
  • provincial driver’s permit;
  • provincial identification card; or
  • provincial health card.

Note: If the change of name document pertains solely to a change in the surname, then the given names will be entered as shown on the landing document"

If you need further assistance you can also submit a case-specific inquiry to the IRCC webform contact page.

Please feel free to ask any follow-up questions or share your progress with us here on the Discussion Forum.

Your Settlement.Org Team,
Information & Referral Specialist - CCRS