Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeLandlord and Tenant Information and Issues

Landlord/tenant rights, dealing with problems, where to get help...

House is sold, do I have to sign new lease? 

Swaingerous
Swaingerous

Posted On: 5/12/2021
Swaingerous
Swaingerous
Hi the house I have been renting a basement apartment in for over 7 years has sold, we have never signed a new lease in that time, so we are currently month to month, so my situation is we currently pay 1200 a month, the house has just sold and we are being asked to sign a new lease paying over 1600 a month, I'm afraid we are being forced to sign it, or threatened with eviction or possibly if we dont sign it, the new landlords will find a loophole to evict us, we are good tenants that just happen to pay lower rent because we know the current landlord, I think the new owners has said they can get more money for the basement apartment and has asked him to get us to sign a new lease for more money, what can I do to protect myself from a $400 increase every month and potentially being served a notice of termination because I don't want to be forced into signing something that isn't legal...basically I'm asking can the new owners of the property ask us to sign a new lease for over 400 dollars more a month, or can our current landlord try to get us to sign new lease in order to please the new buyer? I feel like if I say no to the new lease and its terms I will be given an eviction notice under the guise they need the unit all of a sudden for their personal use or immediate family. Please help
link

Posted On: 5/26/2021
Hello There,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us.

We can appreciate that you would be concerned about this situation. You may want to contact the nearest Community Legal Clinic for some advice regarding your situation. You can find the nearest one by using this tool here. Steps to Justice also has a compiled list of programs and services for helping housing law that may be helpful.

If you do not qualify to receive services from a Community Legal Clinic, please contact the Landlord and Tenant Board directly. You can reach them toll free at 1-888-332-3234 or through their TTY Bell Relay Service at 1-800-855-0511.

We hope this information is helpful. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
link