Lost password

HomePermanent Resident Card

How to apply, processing time, if you're outside of Canada...

PR Card Renewal - Current Name Field - Question 

Posts: 1

Posted On: 5/16/2021
Posts: 1
Hello Moderators & Everyone,

Thank you so very much in advance for taking the time to read this. I would wholeheartedly appreciate any help on the below.

I am in the process of renewing my PR Card the first time and I am eligible on all counts including residency fulfillment days. The current card is the one I got after landing in 2016. The below is my question.

On the application form first page field number 5 under sub-heading "Personal Details" it asks for your current name if different from above. My passport was taken before my marriage in 2015 and the PR card issued in 2016 also has my maiden names as on the passport.

Since arriving in Canada, I have assumed my husband's surname and that is what I have used for SIN, Driver's License, Health Card, Banking etc. That is what I will write in field number 5 but I am concerned that, if I do that the IRCC will change the PR card to my assumed name WHICH I DO NOT WANT TO HAPPEN because it will contradict with my name on the passport.

Why I want to enter my current name is that if IRCC wants to cross verify my tax filings, the SIN is under the married/assumed surname. Also, I just want to be plain straightforward in the form but again, I am concerned if this would automatically lead to IRCC changing my surname on the new card which will then create more problems for me.

Any help or clarification will be immensely appreciated.

Ansa George
Posts: 3921

Posted On: 5/26/2021
Posts: 3921

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us.

We can appreciate that you would be interested in this type of information.

You may want to contact the IRCC Client Support Centre directly to speak to a representative about your situation.

You can also find some detailed information on the IRCC website in the Help Centre - I legally changed my name. How do I update my PR card? section.

Here is an excerpt,

I legally changed my name. How do I update my PR card?

You need to apply for a new PR card to change the name on your card. Make sure you include documents that support the change.

Here is an excerpt from the IRCC's Applying for a Permanent Resident Card (PR Card) - First application, replacement, renewal or to change gender identifier (IMM 5445) instruction guide,

Legal Change of Name
Read the information below to see which supporting documents you need:
If your present name is different from the name printed on your Record of Landing (IMM 1000) or Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM 5292 or IMM 5688), you must submit:
  • supporting legal documents as proof of your name change, and
  • supporting identity documents as requested in section 2 of Step 1.
Submit any of these documents issued by a civil authority in a province or territory of Canada:
  • a copy of a legal change of name document, court order, adoption order, or
  • one of the following documents (unless you were married in Quebec on or after April 2, 1981 and are now a resident of this province). The document must show your new name:
    • a marriage certificate;
    • divorce decree;
    • registration;
    • declaration of union;
    • revocation of declaration or annulment of union.
If you are a permanent resident and changed your name outside of Canada, submit:
  • a foreign passport or other national authoritative document that shows your new name; and
  • an official document linking the old and new names.
If your name change was already approved in a past PR Card application, include a photocopy of your last PR Card.
Important information: If you have had a legal name change, you must include a copy of your Record of Landing (IMM 1000) or Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM 5292 or IMM 5688) with this application.

We hope this information is helpful. Please let us know if you have further questions and if there is any follow up to your question/situation.


Your Settlement.Org team