Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeLandlord and Tenant Information and Issues

Landlord/tenant rights, dealing with problems, where to get help...

Can I separate myself on the lease from roommate? 

EZ
EZ

Posted On: 5/31/2021
EZ
EZ
My roommate is a few months backed up on rent (5K is owed, we've paid over 100K in rent since we moved in). He's a good guy and wants to help, but the landlord's lawyer is saying there is no way for us to separate our names from the lease. Our rent gets taken out individually each month so it would be very easy to prove I've never missed a payment. I want to seperate myself from him (he's willing to sign anything to help with this) altogether and give my notice to move out. I really do not want to go to collections or have a debt over my head that is not debt I've incurred. We have a court hearing on Wednesday and I'd like to think the judge would agree with us instead of the landlord's lawyer. I don't want to sign my name on a payment plan and make myself liable for those payments, but the lawyer is claiming I have to. Thanks in advance for any help.
link

Posted On: 6/11/2021
Hello There,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us.

We can appreciate that you would be concerned about this situation. It is best that you contact the nearest Community Legal Clinic for some advice regarding your situation. You can find the nearest one by using this tool here. Steps to Justice also has a compiled list of programs and services for helping housing law and another compiled list of programs and services about paying rent that may be helpful.

If you do not qualify to receive services from a Community Legal Clinic, please contact the Landlord and Tenant Board directly.

We hope this information is helpful. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
link