Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeElementary and Secondary School

Adult Education, Elementary and Secondary School...

How to prepare for high school assessment test? 

cm
cm

Posted On: 7/9/2021
cm
cm
A Chinese student moving to Ontario to attend high school needs to take an English and math assessment test to decide what grade he should be placed into (10 or 11). Are there any previous assessment tests available that he can practice so he can know what to expect during his real test? Thank you.
link

Posted On: 9/10/2021
Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your question and situation with us.

It may be a good idea to connect with your school's guidance counsellor for resources and support regarding this assessment and transition back to school. Not all school boards provide a formal assessment, but it is useful to know what to expect. You can contact your local school board to find out what their process is.

We hope this information is helpful. If you have any follow-up questions, please feel free to share them.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org team
link
Skaur
Skaur

Posted On: 10/13/2021
Skaur
Skaur
Hi
Is it right to shift my daughter in the month of January to grade 10 from India to Canada. Wil there b an assessment test or she wil automatically get admitted to the grade 10.
What would be the best senario whether to get her admitted directly in grade 11 in September 22 or grade 10th mid session (January22)
link

Posted On: 10/31/2021
Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your question and situation with us. It is great that you are looking into this type of information before your arrival.

According to one of our Education Experts, it is possible to start school in the middle of the school year or semester. Students can start school at any time but starting in the middle of the school year or semester might make it difficult to get credits for the courses he or she is studying. In terms of credits, they generally apply more to higher grades like middle or high school grades. You can find some additional information regarding enrolling children in school in the Settlement.Org article, How do I enrol my child in school?.

In some school boards, newcomer students go to an assessment or reception centre where their mathematics and English language skills are tested. Read more in How is my child assessed to start school in Ontario? You can also find a list of school reception centres in Ontario here. If you have your child's previous report card or textbook, or any other school information that might be helpful, bring it to the centre.

If your daughter is starting secondary (high) school, the guidance counsellor will talk to your child about her previous schooling, interests and goals for after graduation. The counsellor will then help your child choose the appropriate courses.
Many community agencies can help you with registering your child for school. For example, they can help you find an interpreter, if you would like one. To find help, go to Services Near Me and search for "settlement services" in your area.

We hope this information is helpful.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
link