Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomePermanent Resident Card

How to apply, processing time, if you're outside of Canada...

Confusion around residency obligations 

KPS
KPS

Posted On: 7/26/2021
KPS
KPS
Hello,
I am hoping someone here can help. My parents' PR cards expire in April of 2023. In the last 5 years (since they received their cards in April 2018), they have only been in the country for about 9 months. Our plan was to bring them in 2020, but they haven't been able to travel due to COVID restrictions. They are in India. We are waiting for restrictions to ease and plan to bring them as soon as it is possible to do so.

Will they be allowed entry if they come in say Jan of 2022? What happens if they are not able to come until later? Will they be allowed to enter as long as their cards are valid or ONLY if they have been here for 2 years in the last 5?

Their cards expire in April of 2023. Will they be allowed entry until then? What happens if they don't meet 730 days by the time their cards expire?

Thank you SO much for your help. Been trying to contact CIC for a week with no luck. Please share your thoughts/experiences.

Thank you, kindly :).
link

Posted On: 7/31/2021
Hello There,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us.

If your parents do not met their residency requirements, it does not necessarily mean they automatically lose PR status. An official process must begin for one to lose PR status. IRCC may also take humanitarian and compassionate reasons into consideration for your parents extended stay outside of Canada. This is up to IRCC and it would be best for you to contact the local visa office or IRCC via web form to get information and advice specific to your situation.

Based on information on the IRCC website, if your parents would like to return after their PR card has expired, they would need to apply for a Permanent Resident Travel Document to return to Canada. According to the IRCC Help Centre article What happens if my permanent resident card expires while I am outside Canada?:
If you’re outside Canada and don’t have a valid PR card, you need a permanent resident travel document (PRTD) to return to Canada. You can only apply for a PRTD from outside Canada. If you try to return to Canada without a PR card or PRTD, you may not be able to take your flight, train, bus or boat to Canada.

You may also wish to consult a reputable and registered immigration consultant or an immigration lawyer about this situation. We hope this information is helpful, if you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
link