Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeGetting Health Care (OHIP)

Health, including mental health, health card (OHIP), addictions, alternative health...

Can I use my health card for my passport app? 

aryakarki
aryakarki

Posted On: 8/25/2021
aryakarki
aryakarki
Can I use my Health Card (Expiry date:n 2021-01-09) as addition document for adult passport application form ?

Actually i am outside of country and my passport is near to expired.
link

Posted On: 8/31/2021
Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your question and situation with us, you may find helpful information on the supporting documents for a passport application in the article, Documents to support your identity – New adult passport applications. Here is an excerpt:

Requirements for your identification document (ID)Your ID must
  • include your
    • name
    • date of birth
    • photo and
    • signature
  • be issued by a federal, provincial, territorial or state government authority, or the equivalent abroad
You can submit photocopies of your ID if you want. If you do, they must be signed and dated by your guarantor. Learn how to submit your documents.
If your ID doesn’t have all the required informationYou may show more than 1 ID if all of the required information isn’t on the same one.
If your ID doesn’t have a signatureWe may accept it if there isn’t normally a signature on that particular type of ID.
Types of ID you can useYou can use any of the following types of ID alone or in combination to meet the above requirements:
  • Canadian passport
  • driver’s licence issued by a province or territory, or the equivalent abroad
  • health card issued by a province or territory, or the equivalent abroad
  • Certificate of Indian Status
  • military ID
  • foreign passport
  • non-driver’s licence issued by a province or territory, or the equivalent abroad
  • ID card issued by the federal government, or a provincial or territorial government, or the equivalent abroad
  • employee identification issued by the federal government, or a provincial or territorial government, or the equivalent abroad
If your ID isn’t in English or French, you must provide an official translation of it.

If your ID is expired and you can’t renew it due to COVID-19If your expired ID meets the requirements, we’ll accept it as proof of your identity if the province, territory or state that issued it has temporarily extended its validity.
However, this doesn’t apply to Canadian passports. You can’t use your passport as proof of your identity if it’s been expired for more than 1 year.

We hope this information is helpful. Please follow up with us if you have any additional questions.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org team
link