Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeSponsoring Family

Sponsorship of parents, children, spouses (common-law, conjugal, same sex), refugees.

Will my marriage be recognized? 

Marco0101
Marco0101

Posted On: 8/25/2021
Marco0101
Marco0101
I'm gay, I live in Morocco, and my boyfriend is Canadian, we've been talking on WhatsApp since 2019, we decided to get married and live together, but Canadian visa is hard to get and my country's laws don't allow this marriage. My question is: Can we get married in Brazil or Mexico, and then complete the procedures in our country (me in Morocco and he inCanada )?
link

Posted On: 8/31/2021
Hello There,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us.

You may find helpful information in the Settlement.Org article, Will the Canadian government recognize my foreign marriage?
Here is an excerpt:
Generally, your foreign marriage will be recognized by the Canadian government, if the marriage:
  • Is legal according to the laws of the place where it occurred; and
  • Complies with Canada's federal laws on marriage.
According to Canada's federal laws on marriage:
  • Close relatives by blood or adoption (grandparent-grandchild, parent-child, brothers-sisters) cannot marry each other.
  • You can be married to only 1 person at a time.
You can find more information about how Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) evaluates foreign marriages in sections 5.27-5.32 of OP 2 - Processing Members of the Family Class [PDF].

We hope this information is helpful. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
link