Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeLiving in Ontario

Post information about settling and living in your city in Ontario.

Name Change 

Bill Pullman
Bill Pullman

Posted On: 9/2/2021
Bill Pullman
Bill Pullman
My wife and I were married in Japan but have been living in Canada for several years now.

She wishes to change her last name, but we need our marriage certificate to do so. We can get one from Japan and have it translated into English but think it would be easier to just get married again here in Canada. I however cannot find any information on whether or not that is something we can do, or if we would be not eligible as we are already married.

If anyone has any idea we would appreciate.

Thank you.
link

Posted On: 9/30/2021
Hi Bill,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us.

There are 2 ways you can change your name after marriage. You can assume your married name or go through a formal name change. The Settlement.Org article How do I change my name after I get married? details both processes for filing a name change in Ontario.

Marriages that are legally performed in a foreign country are usually valid in Canada, and you do not need to register them in Canada. To get married in Canada, you both must not be currently married which would unfortunately make you ineligible.

If you wish to request the marriage document from Japan, and have it professionally translated, you may find helpful information on how to get that done in the Settlement.Org article, How do I get my documents translated?

We hope this information is helpful. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
link