Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeGetting Health Care (OHIP)

Health, including mental health, health card (OHIP), addictions, alternative health...

OHIP approval 

ForumUser
ForumUser

Posted On: 9/10/2021
ForumUser
ForumUser
Dear Settlement.Org,

I am writing to seek your assistance regarding availability of OHIP. I am a Canadian resident, sponsoring my wife. She has recently received her Open Work Visa. She has also secured a part-time job. However, when she first went to Services Canada, she was told she would only qualify for OHIP if employed full-time. Upon further reviewing the criteria for OHIP, it appears that she might still be eligible for OHIP. This would be under the criteria that she has, “applied for permanent residence and Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) confirmed that you meet the eligibility requirements to apply for permanent residence in Canada. This means that you have "approval-in-principle.”

To date my wife has received the following written confirmations:
"1. We received your application for permanent residence
2. We sent you medical instructions medical results have been received"

How can we confirm that this is approval-in-principal? We would very much appreciate your reply. It would seem very unfair if new arrivals, wanting and able to work, who might be the most at risk of COVID, would be denied any health protection.
link

Posted On: 9/10/2021
Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out, and sharing your question with us.

We called the ServiceOntario INFOline at 1(866)532-3161, and the operator let us know that during the application process for PR, IRCC will send a letter that states it has been determined you have met the eligibility requirements for Permanent Residence. This can be shared with ServiceOntario as proof of approval-in-principle. It may be a good idea to also call the InfoLine to confirm this information, and share case-specific details to determine your wife's eligibility for OHIP.

We hope this information is helpful. If you have any follow-up questions, please feel free to post them here.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org team
link