Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeGeneral Citizenship Questions

Citizenship tests, timelines, oaths, eligibility, application process, requirements

Citizenship by Heritage 

ForumUser
ForumUser

Posted On: 2 days ago
ForumUser
ForumUser
Hi, my husband’s mother is a dual citizen of Canada the France. Can my husband become a citizen of Canada as an adult because his mother is a citizen? Do we need her information? Does it matter if she was born in Canada? Can my kids and/or I also become Canadian citizens?
link
PMM
PMM

Posted On: 2 days ago
PMM
PMM
Hi

ForumUser wrote:
Hi, my husband’s mother is a dual citizen of Canada the France. Can my husband become a citizen of Canada as an adult because his mother is a citizen? Do we need her information? Does it matter if she was born in Canada? Can my kids and/or I also become Canadian citizens?

1, It depends on how his mother obtained her citizenship. If she was born in Canada, then he could apply for proof of citizenship as the first generation born abroad. Neither you nor your children would be eligible for citizenship. As you don't have a connection to Canadian citizenship and your children would be the 2nd generation born abroad, so would not be eligible.
2. If his mother obtained her Canadian citizenship through naturalization prior to his birth, then he would be eligible, if it was after his birth, then he would not be eligible.

3. If his mother obtained her citizenship through descent (i.e. one of her parents was a Canadian citizen when she was born abroad) then he would not be eligible.
link