Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeSponsoring Family

Sponsorship of parents, children, spouses (common-law, conjugal, same sex), refugees.

Parents sponsorship 

dabq75@hotmail.com
[email protected]

Posted On: 11/4/2021
Hi,

I was invited to apply for sponsoring my parents this year 2021. my wife (co-signer) and I didn't meet the income criteria for only one year, that's for 2018 income tax.

should we proceed to apply? or our application will not be approved?

Thank you
link

Posted On: 12/17/2021
Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your question and situation with us.

According to IRCC:
If a sponsor is unable to meet financial requirements on their own, they may include information on the financial resources of their spouse or common-law partner provided that person co-signs the sponsorship application, where applicable. A sponsor cannot pool financial resources with other relatives in order to meet MNI. Any income claimed by a sponsor or co-signer should be income they declared on their Canadian tax return.

As a rule, financial resources must originate from Canadian sources. An officer can, however, consider income received from foreign sources if it was declared by the sponsor to the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) and appears on their Notice of Assessment (NOA). It is important to note that income abroad may not be a reliable indicator of future or stable employment in Canada. IRCC staff cannot easily verify if foreign income can be transferred to Canada and converting foreign income into Canadian dollars can be resource-intensive. In cases of default, collection and litigation, it is easier to recover income from Canadian sources.

You may wish to seek legal help from a lawyer or a licensed consultant familiar with Canadian immigration to find more information about your particular circumstances.

We hope this information is helpful, if you have any further questions please feel free to post them here in the forum.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org team
link
violetta_tot
violetta_tot

Posted On: 7/11/2022
violetta_tot
violetta_tot
Hello, My parents are living in Canada under my sponsorship which is 20 years. Are they eligible to receive Old Age Security Pension? What kind of financial support they can have in general during this sponsorship period apart from medical cover? thank you!
link

Posted On: 7/22/2022
Hello There,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us.

Sponsored immigrants are eligible for Old Age Security, how much they recieve will depend on the eligibility criteria. You can find helpful information in the StepstoJustice article, I'm a Senior. Can I get Old Age Security? It is also best that you contact the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) Call Centre directly to see if they have any information they can provide you.

You can contact them at:

1-888-242-2100 (In Canada Only)

You can also submit a case-specific enquiry:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/contacts/web-form.asp

You may also find the information in the Settlement.Org article What financial assistance is available for seniors? useful. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

We hope this information is helpful.

Settlement.Org Team
link