Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeQuestions about Permanent Residency

Note that Settlement.Org is unable to answer questions about how to immigrate. Residency requirements, Government in Canada, Bringing child born overseas...

How to enter and then return to US 

kimc
kimc

Posted On: 11/7/2021
kimc
kimc
I have my COPR form, we currently live in the US, my husband is Canadian. We plan on moving to Toronto early January. Our plan is to drive with our belongings (including a car). I need to fly back to the US for a week or 2 at the end of January. I know I won't have my PR card that quickly. Can I still fly back to the US? Thank you!
link

Posted On: 12/17/2021
Hello,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us.

You may want to try and contact the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) Call Centre to see if they have any information regarding the processing times for your PR card.

In terms of leaving Canada, you can find some helpful information in the Settlement.Org article, I need to leave Canada but do not have my PR card, what should I do?

Here is an excerpt:
Ideally, you should wait until you have your Permanent Resident (PR) card. If you must leave Canada, you should apply for a Permanent Resident Travel Document from a Canadian visa office abroad as soon as you reach your destination.

The only official documents that permanent residents of Canada can use to travel back to Canada on a commercial carrier (by air, land or sea) are the PR card or a Permanent Resident Travel Document (PRTD), also known as a Travel Document (Permanent Resident Abroad) issued by a Canadian visa office abroad.

We hope this information is helpful. Please let us know if you have further questions by posting here in the forum.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org team

link