Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeQuestions about Permanent Residency

Note that Settlement.Org is unable to answer questions about how to immigrate. Residency requirements, Government in Canada, Bringing child born overseas...

Can a person on work permit get married? 

ladi94
ladi94

Posted On: 11/12/2021
ladi94
ladi94
hi, can i get married to my girlfriend in canada ? she plans to visit canada next year, i would have my work permit by then.
if i get married to her here in canada, will she be given work permit after the marriage? i dont want her to return back to her country.
link

Posted On: 11/30/2021
Hello,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us.

You can find some detailed information in our Settlement.Org articles How do I get married in Ontario? and Who can get married in Ontario?

Here is an excerpt,

To get married in Ontario, you do not have to be a Canadian citizen or live in Ontario. The first step to getting married in Ontario is to get a marriage license.

You may wish to consult a lawyer or immigration consultant regarding immigration and sponsorship pathways for your partner. You may find helpful information in the Settlement.Org articles, How do I find a lawyer? and What other kinds of legal help can I get? on how to find a reputable and registered lawyer or immigration consultant. It may also help to connect with a community resource navigator at 211 to narrow your search. 211 Ontario is a free, confidential service. Their phone service is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Here is a link to their live chat if you prefer to communicate online. Their live chat service is available Monday to Friday from 7am-9pm ET.

I hope this information is helpful. Please let us know if you have further questions and if there is any follow up to your question/situation.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org team
link