Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomePermanent Resident Card

How to apply, processing time, if you're outside of Canada...

PR card renewal - Qs re: photos, travelling 

Skye20
Skye20

Posted On: 11/24/2021
Skye20
Skye20
Hello,

I have a few questions about my renewal. I did once do this, but have poor recollection from then and there have been slight changes from what I could tell. Hope someone could share some information on the questions both about the use of my current PR card and renewal app.

1. The photographer stamped both photos. It says one to bear the stamp and my name and DOB. Is this a problem?
2. Is it better to have both photos have my name and DOB? Or is it better to have a blank one? (sorry for seemingly a silly question)
3. My passport is expired and being renewed. I have the passport I landed as PR with, and the stamp from the entry. Some forums/legal folks seem to suggest that I should include other forms of ID and COPR copy. Does anyone have experience with this? I have DL and OHIP card as well. **I will be including all the pages of the passport including blank ones just in case. (I have only been away roughly 50 days over 5 yrs, and do meet all requirements for PR)
4. My current PR card is set to expire early March 2022 and we were thinking to visit family in Feb 2022. If the application for renewal is in, it sounds like it might be a problem to travel. Is this the case? Is it best to avoid travel even if your PR card is valid if an application is submitted/pending to IRCC? I would absolutely like to avoid any issues.

I don't know if this matters but my spouse and my child are both Canadian (my child is dual) and we will be travelling together.

Any information would be appreciated. Thank you.
link

Posted On: 12/17/2021
Hello there,

Thank you for sharing your question and situation with us.

IRCC identifies all photo specifications for PR on their website, here is an excerpt:

Your photos must be:
  • Taken by a commercial photographer.
  • 50 mm wide X 70 mm high (2 inches wide x 2- 3/4 inches long) and sized so the height of the face measures between 31 mm (1- 1/4 inches) and 36 mm (1- 7/16 inches) from chin to crown of head (natural top of head).
  • Clear, sharp and in focus.
  • Taken with a neutral facial expression (eyes open and clearly visible, mouth closed, no smiling).
  • Taken with uniform lighting and not show shadows, glare or flash reflections.
  • Taken straight on, with face and shoulders centred and squared to the camera (i.e. the photographs must show the full front view of the person’s head and shoulders, showing full face centred in the middle of the photograph).
  • Taken in front of a plain white background with a clear difference between your face and the background. Photos must reflect/represent natural skin tones.
  • Original photos that are not altered in any way or taken from an existing photo.What is an altered photo?
  • Reflect your current appearance (taken within the last six months)
  • Professionally printed on plain, high quality photographic paper (photos printed at home and photos printed on heavy weight paper are not acceptable)
The back of one photo must include:
  • the subject’s name and date of birth
  • the name and complete address of the photography studio
  • the date the photograph was taken
The photographer may use a stamp or handwrite this information. Stick-on labels are unacceptable.

You may also find the article, How do I renew my passport? helpful for complete instructions and required documentation. In terms of leaving Canada with an expired PR card, you can find some helpful information in the Settlement.Org article, I need to leave Canada but do not have my PR card, what should I do?

Here is an excerpt:
Ideally, you should wait until you have your Permanent Resident (PR) card. If you must leave Canada, you should apply for a Permanent Resident Travel Document from a Canadian visa office abroad as soon as you reach your destination.

The only official documents that permanent residents of Canada can use to travel back to Canada on a commercial carrier (by air, land or sea) are the PR card or a Permanent Resident Travel Document (PRTD), also known as a Travel Document (Permanent Resident Abroad) issued by a Canadian visa office abroad.

We hope this information is helpful, if you wish, you may also want to contact the IRCC Call Centre or use their web form for information specific to your situation and application.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org team
link
Suri
Suri

Posted On: 2/1/2022
Suri
Suri
Hi-

I have a question re my PR and citizenship.

Background-

I got my PR Card in Oct 2012 I full filled the PR requirement and got the card renewed in 2019 .
I have been away in Australia and due to strict lockdowns we were not able to come . Th new PR expired in Feb 2024.

Could I apply for the citizenship now ?

Thank you!
Suri
link

Posted On: 2/28/2022
Hello There,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us.

You have a few options in your situation. You may want the advice of a reputable and registered immigration consultant or an immigration lawyer familiar with immigration law for advice regarding your situation.

In terms of eligibility requirements, you may find helpful information in the article, How do I apply for citizenship?. Here is an excerpt:
In order to apply for Canadian citizenship you must:
  • Provide proof that you know how to speak and write in 1 of Canada's official languages (either English or French)
  • Be a Permanent Resident (PR)
  • Have lived in Canada as a PR for at least 1,095 days out of the 5 years before you apply
  • Have filed your taxes for at least 3 years during the last 5 years and any income tax you may owe must be paid

If you do not meet this eligibility criteria and are looking for information on pathways to permanent residence, you may find helpful information in the article How can I apply to immigrate to Ontario?.

We hope this information is helpful. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
link