Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeGeneral Citizenship Questions

Citizenship tests, timelines, oaths, eligibility, application process, requirements

Dual Citizenship 

ryanlw
ryanlw

Posted On: 12/1/2021
ryanlw
ryanlw
Hi,

I am in the process of filling out my citizenship application and wanted clarity on how many citizenships do Canada accept. I currently have a South African Passport via birth and British Passport that was handed down through my parents.

Will i have to renounce one passport or can i still proceed with the application since Canada accept 2 or More Citizenships?

Thanks for your input and advice.

ryan
link
PMM
PMM

Posted On: 12/2/2021
PMM
PMM
Hi

ryanlw wrote:
Hi,

I am in the process of filling out my citizenship application and wanted clarity on how many citizenships do Canada accept. I currently have a South African Passport via birth and British Passport that was handed down through my parents.

Will i have to renounce one passport or can i still proceed with the application since Canada accept 2 or More Citizenships?

Thanks for your input and advice.

ryan

1. As many as you want. You don't have to renounce any BUT note the following from South Africa

"it is possible for a South African Citizen to hold dual citizenship (be a citizen of more than one country). However, in order to make this possible a South African Citizen aged 18 years or older must apply to the Department of Home Affairs for the retention of their citizenship. Under the South African Citizenship Act one is only able to retain your South African Citizenship if you apply for the retention of this before acquiring foreign citizenship. If a South African Citizen does not obtain this permission prior to obtaining foreign citizenship, they will automatically lose this on the basis of voluntarily acquiring citizenship of a foreign country."
link