Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeQuestions about Permanent Residency

Note that Settlement.Org is unable to answer questions about how to immigrate. Residency requirements, Government in Canada, Bringing child born overseas...

PNP and PR Renew 

Eugene
Eugene

Posted On: 1/28/2022
Eugene
Eugene
Hello,
I got PR card with PNP and actually right away left Canada because of many reasons.
After 2,5 years I returned to Canada, but I settled with my friends in other province.
Now it's coming time to renew my PR, but I am wondering if I have any troubles with renewal, because I didn't entered Province that nominated me with PR. Could it be a problem and what is the best way to do?
Thank you very much for helping
link

Posted On: 2/28/2022
Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your question and situation with us.

You may find helpful information in a similar question, here: https://discuss.settlement.org/topic43704-employer-initiated-relocation-for-pnp-pr--sinp.aspx

Here is an excerpt:
We have received some information from one of our legal researchers; and apologize for the delay. We hope you find their information useful:
Each province operates their own unique Provincial Nominee Program (PNP) which is designed by the province to help meet their economic and demographic needs. Typically, as a permanent resident of Canada, you do not have to inform any authority on your intent to move out of the Province. However, this may be different for a permanent resident who obtained their residency through the PNP.
The mobility rights of an individual under the PNP program is subject to certain regulations (under section 6(3)(a) and (b) of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms) which creates several limits to mobility. This mandates that immigrants who obtained PR under the PNP should remain in the province which they applied for about two years to show their intention.
This does not mean that a PNP applicant can not leave the Province. There are certain things that you can do before deciding to leave that will still show you had or have an intention to stay in Saskatchewan. This can include, but not limited to, 1. Actively looking for jobs within Saskatchewan, 2. Properly documenting your job hunt (include proof of your job applications), and 3. Exhaust all means of finding employment in Saskatchewan. From your situation, it appears that you have actively searched for a job even during the period of time you were working with another employer. It would be best if you could compile all your job applications during this time for proof.
In the situation in which you do not get a job offer, or you are offered a job out of province that is for a higher position, then your move out of the Province may be legally justified. In your case, with proper documentation, you may be able to work in Ontario without any adverse consequences on renewing your PR card and obtaining Citizenship.
It is highly recommended for you to contact the Saskatchewan Immigration Services directly for some confirmation on this matter as this may be decided on a case-by-case basis.

Please keep in mind this is only legal information, it is not legal advice. If you want or need legal advice you will need to contact a reputable lawyer or the nearest Community Legal Clinic regarding your situation.

We hope this information is helpful.

Settlement.Org Team
link