Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomePermanent Resident Card

How to apply, processing time, if you're outside of Canada...

Realistic Permanent Resident Wait Times? 

Paul
Paul

Posted On: 2/1/2022
Paul
Paul
Hi, after many years of hard work I have been lucky enough to been offered permanent residency. I was wondering if there is currently a problem exacerbated by the pandemic of waiting times? When ever I look at the current waiting times, I can see times that are less than half the time I have already waited (203 days) for a new card. I am not able to contact anybody, I have resubmitted my details with an updated picture, I get generic replies when ever I try a different media platforms, such as twitter. I am at a loss and can't think of a better place for advice.

Any advice is greatly appreciated,

Paul,
link

Posted On: 3/25/2022
Hi Paul,

Thank you for reaching out to us, I apologize for the belated response.

Unfortunately, waiting times due to the pandemic circumstances have been affected. I have found that making a phone call to IRCC's client centre about case-specific information can help. You can contact them at 1-888-242-2100 (In Canada Only)

It may also be a good idea to connect with an immigration lawyer for support with your application if you need any advice. You can find helpful information on how to find a reputable and registered lawyer or immigration consultant in the Settlement.Org articles, How do I find a lawyer? and What other kinds of legal help can I get?. Or connect with a community resource navigator at 211 to narrow your search. 211 Ontario is a free, confidential service. Their phone service is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Here is a link to their live chat if you prefer to communicate online. Their live chat service is available Monday to Friday from 7am-9pm ET.

We hope this information is helpful. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
link
Paul
Paul

Posted On: 3/26/2022
Paul
Paul
Hi there, thank you so much for your response. Making a phone call to the IRCC's client centre is not an option, this was recommended by my immigration lawyer. I have tried at least 100 times, when you finally get through to the department through navigating the press 1 for this,3 for this phone menu, there is a message stating that all of the agents are busy right now please call again later. I have tried at 5 minutes before opening to closing time very regularly and it seems like I am not alone here. There has either been a long-term problem with their phone lines or they are too busy to answer doing other things as there is no way of getting through. Google reviews and twitter messages from lots and lots of others having my situation or similar indicate that there is a big problem talking to anybody at the Hamilton offices. My worry is that the online (regularly updated) waiting time is circa 80-90 days, I am currently on day 255 as of March 26th 2022. I have filled out web forms and resubmitted my information with updated professionally taken photographs, so that the age of the photo wouldn't be an issue. I get a generic response suggesting filling out another web form which as I have mentioned I have done 3 times, resubmitting all of my documents. I already have/ had an immigration lawyer which I have contacted and she can't believe it is taking so long and tells me to contact the office and as I mentioned this is a waste of time. From reading google reviews and twitter the problem seems to be the Hamilton office, one Man on a google review contacted his MP as he was getting no reply for an emergency travel pass for being able to make it to his mother's funeral, but missed the funeral due to their lack of response.

Thanks for your help anyway, but this is a lost cause.

regards,

Paul S.
link

Posted On: 3/31/2022
Hi Paul,

I'm sorry to hear that, and thank you for updating us on your situation. The pandemic has put quite the strain on wait times for IRCC, regardless, I hope your situation can be resolved shortly. We are wishing you the very best.

Sincerely,

The Settlement.Org team
link