Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomePermanent Resident Card

How to apply, processing time, if you're outside of Canada...

PR CARD EXPIRED BEFORE 2 YEARS 

RIMA2022
RIMA2022

Posted On: 2/7/2022
RIMA2022
RIMA2022
Hello,

My PR card expired in Sep 2020. By that time I could not apply for renewal because I had not stayed in Canada enough (2 years in 5 years).
But before the expiration of the card I came back to Canada and have settled here.
So I would like to know how I can apply for its renewal now? Is there any special thing to do?
My other question is: Does biometry needed for its renewal? I have not done it before.

Regards,
Rima2022
link

Posted On: 2/28/2022
Hello There,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us.

You may find useful information in the article on Settlement.Org, What are the residency requirements for permanent residents (PRs)? Here is an excerpt:

To meet these residency obligations, you must be physically present in Canada for at least 730 days (2 years) in every 5-year period. The 5-year period is assessed on a rolling basis. Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) will look back at your time in Canada over the previous 5 years.

This means that you can spend a total of up to 3 years outside of Canada during a 5-year period.

IRCC may take humanitarian and compassionate reasons into consideration for your extended stay outside of Canada. However, this is up to IRCC and it would be best for you to contact the local visa office or IRCC via web form to get more details about her specific application and what kind of supporting documents you may require.

You may also want the advice of a reputable and registered immigration consultant or an immigration lawyer familiar with immigration law for advice regarding your situation.

Regarding biometrics, according to IRCC:
If you’re applying for permanent residence, you need to give your fingerprints and photo (biometrics).
If you’re applying, or have an application in progress for temporary residence, you’re temporarily exempt from giving biometrics.

You can answer some questions to find out if you need to give biometrics.

We hope this information is helpful. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
link
PMM
PMM

Posted On: 3/1/2022
PMM
PMM
Hi

RIMA2022 wrote:
Hello,

My PR card expired in Sep 2020. By that time I could not apply for renewal because I had not stayed in Canada enough (2 years in 5 years).
But before the expiration of the card I came back to Canada and have settled here.
So I would like to know how I can apply for its renewal now? Is there any special thing to do?
My other question is: Does biometry needed for its renewal? I have not done it before.

Regards,

Rima2022

1. As long as you are in compliance with your RO, i.e. 2 years residence in the past 5 years, you can apply for renewal of your PR card. You have to prove your compliance.

2. Follow the instructions in the checklist, Biometrics are not required.
link
Suri
Suri

Posted On: 3/2/2022
Suri
Suri
Hi

My PR Card expires in Feb 24 , I was not able to come to Canada in the last two years due to strict covid travel( Australia), so was not able to meet the 3 year requirement to apply for citizenship

1. Will i be able to renew/apply for citizenship 6 months before 2024 Feb
2 I have been in Canada since Dec 21

Thank you
Suri
link

Posted On: 4/30/2022
Suri wrote:
Hi

My PR Card expires in Feb 24 , I was not able to come to Canada in the last two years due to strict covid travel( Australia), so was not able to meet the 3 year requirement to apply for citizenship

1. Will i be able to renew/apply for citizenship 6 months before 2024 Feb
2 I have been in Canada since Dec 21

Thank you
Suri

Hello There,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us.

You have a few options in your situation. You may want the advice of a reputable and registered immigration consultant or an immigration lawyer familiar with immigration law for advice regarding your situation.

Here is an excerpt on the eligibility criteria for applying for citizenship from the article, How do I apply for citizenship?:
In order to apply for Canadian citizenship you must:
  • Provide proof that you know how to speak and write in 1 of Canada's official languages (either English or French)
  • Be a Permanent Resident (PR)
  • Have lived in Canada as a PR for at least 1,095 days out of the 5 years before you apply
  • Have filed your taxes for at least 3 years during the last 5 years and any income tax you may owe must be paid

You may also want to use IRCC’s Physical Presence Calculator as a resource to help you calculate the physical presence requirement for February 2024. We hope this information is helpful. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
link