Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeSponsoring Family

Sponsorship of parents, children, spouses (common-law, conjugal, same sex), refugees.

Super Visa Visitor Funds 

Settled1
Settled1

Posted On: 2/16/2022
Settled1
Settled1
Good day,

Sorry if this has been answered before, question:

Does the Super Visa Visitor (Parents and Grandparents Program) have to show/present funds as stated in application under section "funds available for my stay" in cash on entry into Canada?

Otherwise, what are the other safer and accepted ways they can be presented/transferred or saved in a local Canadian bank for them?

Your input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
M.
link

Posted On: 3/14/2022
Hello,
Thank you for sharing your questions with us! We are happy to provide a high-level answer to your question.

The IMM 5256 form, used for the Super Visa Visitor, asks for evidence that the funds available for your stay be provided by the child or grandchild hosting the parent or grandparent. The child or grandchild inviting the visitor into Canada as a Super Visa Visitor must prove that they meet the minimum necessary income to support the stay of the parent or grandparent. This can be proven by the child or grandchild submitting a Notice of Assessment or T4/T1 for the most recent tax year, employment letter including salary and date of hiring, pay stubs and bank statements.

Therefore, it is not required for the visitor (i.e. the parent or the grandparent) to present/show the funds upon entry into Canada (and furthermore, the child or grandchild does not need to provide any cash to demonstrate their income). For more information on the requirements for the Super Visa Visitor, click here.

Please let us know if you have further questions.

Sincerely, Your Settlement.Org team

Disclaimer: This document does not contain legal advice. This document was prepared with the assistance of PBSC Western University law student volunteers. PBSC volunteers are not lawyers and they are not authorized to provide legal advice. This document contains general discussion of certain legal and related issues only. If you require legal advice, please consult with a lawyer.
link
Settled1
Settled1

Posted On: 3/14/2022
Settled1
Settled1
Good day and many thanks for your time and response, very helpful,
Yes, all other aspects were properly covered.
I asked as within the main application document: (imm5257e), under part: "DETAILS OF VISIT TO CANADA" in the required window: "*funds available for my stay" referring to the grandparent/visitor, a certain amount was entered, about a year ago, things have changed and they’re concerned about carrying it in the only format available there (cash) and I was wondering if they could be questioned on entry to verify accuracy of info. entered in application.
Just making sure they cover all requirements to further facilitate their travel and would truly appreciate your thoughts on this, if possible

Many thanks,
M.
link

Posted On: 3/30/2022
Hello M,

Thank you for sharing your questions with us! We are happy to provide a high-level answer to your question.
The funds inputted in the IMM 5257e form, under “Details of Visit to Canada”, would have had to be verified through one of the methods stated in the previous answer (T4, Notice of Assessment, bank statement, verbal written statements of support, pay stubs, etc.) through the application process. Once approved and a temporary visa has been granted, those same documents need not be shown again upon entry. A verification of the accuracy of the information provided on the application is not routine procedure.

It is not required to carry the sums noted in the application. The form asks what funds are available to support the applicant’s stay in Canada. The funds can remain in a bank account anywhere so long as the applicant has access.

You can find more information on travelling into Canada with cash here.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org team
Disclaimer: This document does not contain legal advice. This document was prepared with the assistance of PBSC Western University law student volunteers. PBSC volunteers are not lawyers and they are not authorized to provide legal advice. This document contains general discussion of certain legal and related issues only. If you require legal advice, please consult with a lawyer.
link
Settled1
Settled1

Posted On: 4/3/2022
Settled1
Settled1
Hello,
Again, I'm truly grateful for your time and sorry if I have not been very clear.

Yes, all aspects of the application including that of the sponsors finances have been fulfilled, my inquiry was specific to applicant's finances as stated in application, for which, now we know they will not be asked for proof, thanks for your input, very helpful.

Over a month ago a Medical Exam was requested and passed by the applicant and status was updated to: "We are processing your background check..." and we are anxiously awaiting the next update.

Fingers crossed.

Have a good weekend.
M.

================================================================
Moderator wrote:
Hello M,

The funds inputted in the IMM 5257e form, under “Details of Visit to Canada”, would have had to be verified through one of the methods stated in the previous answer (T4, Notice of Assessment, bank statement, verbal written statements of support, pay stubs, etc.) through the application process. Once approved and a temporary visa has been granted, those same documents need not be shown again upon entry. A verification of the accuracy of the information provided on the application is not routine procedure.

It is not required to carry the sums noted in the application. The form asks what funds are available to support the applicant’s stay in Canada. The funds can remain in a bank account anywhere so long as the applicant has access.

You can find more information on travelling into Canada with cash here.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org team
link
Settled1
Settled1

Posted On: 4/28/2022
Settled1
Settled1
Hello again,

Happy to confirm, application has been approved and visa received,

My understanding is that Super Visas are normally valid for 10 years with 2 years renewable stay intervals.

Visa was issued on Apr 12 2022 and expires on Apr 04 2025, applicant's passport expires on Apr 03 2025, which could be the reason for the Visa's shorter validity, correct?

Questions please:

1) Applicant's passport will need to be renewed while in Canada prior to their return; if the visitor prefers to extend their stay while in Canada, would they be able to apply for the usually allowable two year stay extension on the same Super Visa, if not, is there another application method to facilitate a longer stay or extension?

2) Otherwise, after leaving Canada on time, if the visitor would like to return for another visit, would they be able to apply for the usually allowable two year stay extension on the same Super Visa or would they need to start a new one year application process allover again?

Your input is very valuable to us, we are truly grateful for it,

I look forward to your response

Regards
M.
link
harishcan01in
harishcan01in

Posted On: 8/18/2022
harishcan01in
harishcan01in
Hello,

I am a US resident working in USA and a Canadian citizen as well. My wife is also working in US and a Canadian citizen as well. We would like to apply for a Visitor or Super visa for Canada for her parents who are residing in India. We don't file taxes in Canada since we don't reside in it.

Is it still possible to apply for my in-laws super visa for Canada who are residing India?

If so, my wife is also a Canadian citizen, does she need to provide her supporting information for her parents due to blood relations?
link
setteled21
setteled21

Posted On: 3/28/2023
setteled21
setteled21
Hi Settled1,
I wanted to know what did you use in available funds for stay? I understood your question. As, I am supporting my parents for everything and they don’t have sufficient funds in their bank account so I don’t want to attach their bank statement.
link
Settled1
Settled1

Posted On: 3/29/2023
Settled1
Settled1
Hi,

We simply followed all requirements very closely and included bank statements in application but at no point they were asked for proof of funds they had or were carrying on arrival.

Hope this helps.
M.

setteled21 wrote:
Hi Settled1,
I wanted to know what did you use in available funds for stay? I understood your question. As, I am supporting my parents for everything and they don’t have sufficient funds in their bank account so I don’t want to attach their bank statement.
link
Unite_me
Unite_me

Posted On: 3/31/2023
Unite_me
Unite_me
Hi,

I m a person on disability, and I have sponsored my husband before, but due to my bipolar, I did some things I can not take back. Because of my actions, my kids and I suffered. My kids needed their father, as I needed my husband. I didn't know I could sponsor him on disability., I just found that out a few days ago. Before, iv asked a couple who told me I couldn't if I was on disability. There is finally hope. But what are the rules around being sponsored once and cancelling?
link

Posted On: 3/31/2023
Unite_me wrote:

Hi

I m a person on disability, and I have sponsored my husband before, but due to my bipolar, I did some things I can not take back. Because of my actions, my kids and I suffered. My kids needed their father, as I needed my husband. I didn't know I could sponsor him on disability., I just found that out a few days ago. Before, iv asked a couple who told me I couldn't if I was on disability. There is finally hope. But what are the rules around being sponsored once and cancelling?

Hello there,

Thank you for sharing your situation and question with us. We can appreciate that you would be interested in finding some information related to this.

In terms of whether or not you are eligible to sponsor someone while receiving social assistance, you are not eligible to sponsor anyone to come to Canada, not even your children, while you are receiving regular welfare/social assistance benefits.

However, if you receive disability benefits or ODSP, you can apply to sponsor eligible family members, such as a spouse. The application process can be found in our Settlement.Org Sponsorship section. You may want to contact the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) Call Centre directly for some additional information.

You may also wish to connect with an immigration lawyer or consultant for advice regarding your situation and help with your application. It may also help to connect with a community resource navigator at 211 to narrow your search for community legal clinics that provide this service.

211 Ontario is a free, confidential service. Their phone service is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Here is a link to their live chat if you prefer to communicate online. Their live chat service is available Monday to Friday from 7am-9pm ET.

We hope this information is helpful. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
link