Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomePermanent Resident Card

How to apply, processing time, if you're outside of Canada...

Sending Off PR Application While Abroad 

JR
JR

Posted On: 3/1/2022
JR
JR
I am a Canadian. My 2 children are Canadians. My wife is Taiwanese with a PR card. We left Canada for a 9 month trip to Taiwan on 09/2019 — a few months before the pandemic started. We have been staying in Taiwan since with fear of coming in contact with the virus. My wife’s PR card expired 09/2020. We will be returning back to Canada in 05/2022. We have already sent off the request for a PR travel document— we should be getting that in a few weeks.

My question is — can we send in the PR renewal application while we are abroad with the intent to speed up the process? We have a Canadian address, and we would physically pick up the PR card when in Canada. I am aware it takes approx 120 processing time. I am hoping to send in the PR renewal application in 03/2022 so that my wife can pick it up shortly after we arrive in Canada. I was told by the Canadian Trade Office here in Taipei that this was possible. Please confirm.

Thank you~~
link
PMM
PMM

Posted On: 3/2/2022
PMM
PMM
Hi

JR wrote:
I am a Canadian. My 2 children are Canadians. My wife is Taiwanese with a PR card. We left Canada for a 9 month trip to Taiwan on 09/2019 — a few months before the pandemic started. We have been staying in Taiwan since with fear of coming in contact with the virus. My wife’s PR card expired 09/2020. We will be returning back to Canada in 05/2022. We have already sent off the request for a PR travel document— we should be getting that in a few weeks.

My question is — can we send in the PR renewal application while we are abroad with the intent to speed up the process? We have a Canadian address, and we would physically pick up the PR card when in Canada. I am aware it takes approx 120 processing time. I am hoping to send in the PR renewal application in 03/2022 so that my wife can pick it up shortly after we arrive in Canada. I was told by the Canadian Trade Office here in Taipei that this was possible. Please confirm.

Thank you~~

1. No, you have to be physically resident in Canada to submit a PR card application.
link
ClaireShen
ClaireShen

Posted On: 5/3/2022
ClaireShen
ClaireShen
JR wrote:

Thank you~~
link