Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomePermanent Resident Card

How to apply, processing time, if you're outside of Canada...

Land and Leave 

Rogerskell
Rogerskell

Posted On: 3/3/2022
Rogerskell
Rogerskell
Hello,

I have just received my COPR documents in the mail. I am currently living New Zealand (I am a British citizen). I have booked a flight from NZ to Vancouver on May 6th to start my PR visa before the COPR runs out. I need to be back in the UK shortly after that and need to leave Canada before I receive my PR card.

Does anyone know what I can do about this? Do I give a friends address and get them to mail to me?

I have also seen that you need to provide your address within 180 days of your PR starting. How do I do this? Will they ask me when I arrive?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Kelly
link

Posted On: 3/25/2022
Hello there,

Thank you for sharing your question and situation with us.

You may also find helpful information in this thread on landing and leaving protocols,

Here is an excerpt:

There are some risks if you leave Canada on the same day of your CoPR landing and you should seriously consider changing your departing flight.

If you give Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) an address in Canada, but you leave before the card is mailed to you, you can ask your family or friends who live at that address to send you the PR card. You will need your PR Card in order to re-enter Canada, and it should be noted that having it mailed to you outside of Canada is a significant risk.

If you arrive and do not give IRCC a Canadian mailing address (or you do not receive your PR Card), and you depart Canada, you will need to apply for a Travel Document (Permanent Resident Abroad) before you try to re-enter Canada. This application must be submitted to a Canadian visa office abroad and may take approx. 6-8 months to process.

This Travel Document can only be used once. Further, the Travel Document is issued at the discretion of the Visa Officer and they will consider the reason for your departure from Canada, the country you went to, etc.

Upon your entry to Canada at Pearson International Airport, the border services officer may notify you that you have been randomly selected for an arrival test. You will have your PR interview before getting the arrival test.

If you are randomly selected for a mandatory arrival test, you must quarantine and wait for the results at your final destination inside of Canada. More detailed information can be found here.

We hope that this general information is helpful and we recommend that you seek legal help from a lawyer or a licensed consultant familiar with Canadian immigration to obtain assistance about your particular circumstances.

You may also wish to use IRCC's address notification online service to provide your address to them. You may also wish to consult a reputable and registered immigration consultant or an immigration lawyer for advice on the matter.

We hope this information is helpful. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them here.

Sincerely,

Your Settlement.Org Team
link